Employer does follow their own policies

Status
Not open for further replies.

tired_of_it

My jurisdiction is: Indiana / Tennesee

My employer does not think it is their responsibility to follow the guidelines policies and procedures as they are required to by law. Violating OSHA, FAA, and other companies safety and manuals for repair of aircraft fuel tanks. I am looking for the right path to take to bring it to their attention that this is a serious offense and in order to run a business profitably we need to adhere to these laws. I have documentation that has been falsified and proof that safety issues have occurred and violations have continued to reoccur. Looking for some advice.

Just an FYI - employers are not required by law to follow their own policies, unless failure to follow their policies results in a law being broken.

Yes, I know that's confusing.

Let's go with an example. There are no laws about the use of vacation time. An employer can put any restrictions they like on the use of vacation times. They can make it a policy that you only have to call in that morning; they can make it a policy that you have to apply for vacation no less than two weeks in advance; they can black out periods and say no one can take vacation during this time; they can pretty much say anything they want. And since there are no laws regarding it, if they violate their own policies regarding vacation it's not illegal.

However, there are laws in many states regarding the payment of vacation time at termination. In my state, for example, if an employee has earned but unused vacation when they leave the employer for ANY reason, the employer is required by state law to pay it out. (There are minor exceptions but that's true enough for this example.) So most employers in my state have a policy that says, When you leave the company we'll pay you your unused vacation. If they violate THAT policy, it's illegal, because that policy is required by law.

Clear as mud? :)

If your employer's violation of their own policies results in their also being in violation of the law, you can report them to the appropriate regulatory agency and in most if not all states, if you are fired for it that's a wrongful termination for which you have legal recourse. But if the employer's violation of their own policies does not result in the violation of a law, that's legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back