Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Employee theft

SamanthaxXx

Jurisdiction
Illinois
Hello, I reside in Rockford IL. I was recently caught stealing from my employer. I'm 20 with no prior law run ins. The regional loss prevention manager and regional manager called the store to interview me. (It was my last day as I put my two week notice in two weeks earlier). At first I denied it but he said it was a window of opportunity and if I was honest it would say a lot about how this would turn out. I asked if I needed a lawyer and he said no not at this point. I signed an admission and a promissory note for $594 dollars. He said they would not be pursuing criminal charges at this time and the regional manager said she didn't want me to put myself in a situation like this again. They accepted my resignation and I clocked out and left. It's been 14 days since the interview and I haven't heard anything from LP, manager, and haven't received a promissory note yet. I haven't heard from police but I'm scared they will involve them. I contacted one lawyer who basically said nothing he can do, and he didn't know the stores policy. Should I contact more attorneys even if I haven't been charged?

Hello, I reside in Rockford IL. I was recently caught stealing from my employer. I'm 20 with no prior law run ins. The regional loss prevention manager and regional manager called the store to interview me. (It was my last day as I put my two week notice in two weeks earlier). At first I denied it but he said it was a window of opportunity and if I was honest it would say a lot about how this would turn out. I asked if I needed a lawyer and he said no not at this point. I signed an admission and a promissory note for $594 dollars. He said they would not be pursuing criminal charges at this time and the regional manager said she didn't want me to put myself in a situation like this again. They accepted my resignation and I clocked out and left. It's been 14 days since the interview and I haven't heard anything from LP, manager, and haven't received a promissory note yet. I haven't heard from police but I'm scared they will involve them. I contacted one lawyer who basically said nothing he can do, and he didn't know the stores policy. Should I contact more attorneys even if I haven't been charged?

Of course they tell you that you don't need a lawyer. You didn't have to talk to anyone or sign anything.

You can contact as many lawyers as you want. You don't have to be charged with a crime to talk to a lawyer. You just have to wait and see if the cops come for you or not.

Be patient.
You will eventually get a letter asking that you send the money or arrange a payment plan.
You are not going to hear from police.

Regardless of what you signed or admitted to, you are not required to pay anything they ask of you. You do so voluntarily. You are not required to pay unless ordered by a court.

You won't be ordered by a court if they don't make a criminal complaint. If you pay what they ask then they won't make that complaint. If you don't pay then maybe they do and maybe they don't.

It is entirely up to you how to proceed, but the letter will come.

You will find that you get the same replies as your "friend" did on the other forum.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You will find that you get the same replies as your "friend" did on the other forum.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
I am ashamed and embarrassed and most of all SCARED. I know this is entirely my fault and I'm living every moment literally shaking. I just don't know how to handle this or what my next step should be. I'm going anywhere for answers.

Be patient.
You will eventually get a letter asking that you send the money or arrange a payment plan.
You are not going to hear from police.

Regardless of what you signed or admitted to, you are not required to pay anything they ask of you. You do so voluntarily. You are not required to pay unless ordered by a court.

You won't be ordered by a court if they don't make a criminal complaint. If you pay what they ask then they won't make that complaint. If you don't pay then maybe they do and maybe they don't.

It is entirely up to you how to proceed, but the letter will come.
Thank you for the reply. If they decide to file does anyone know how long until I would hear about it? I'm just expecting the worst and don't know what my next step should be.

Of course they tell you that you don't need a lawyer. You didn't have to talk to anyone or sign anything.

You can contact as many lawyers as you want. You don't have to be charged with a crime to talk to a lawyer. You just have to wait and see if the cops come for you or not.
In the moment I didn't think. They were being nice and at the end one of them even gave me a number I could call for financial assistance and wished me luck in the future. I now am reading the worst and I am scared.

If they were to make a criminal complaint they would have already done so. With every day that passes it becomes less likely.

In the event that you don't pay what they ask there is the possibility they could seek criminal charges, but more likely is they try and obtain a judgment in civil court.

Rest easy- whether you pay them or not law enforcement involvement is a remote possibility.

If the OP doesn't pay I would think that they would.

They could, but once the agreement has been made it is really more of a civil dispute.
It would vary by jurisdiction, but I'd expect prosecutors to brush it off to the civil side if a complaint was made late.
By the time collection attempts fail and a complaint is made it is likely well over a year, probably more, since the incident.

They could, but once the agreement has been made it is really more of a civil dispute.
It would vary by jurisdiction, but I'd expect prosecutors to brush it off to the civil side if a complaint was made late.
By the time collection attempts fail and a complaint is made it is likely well over a year, probably more, since the incident.
I'm thinking I'll pay just to be safe. The promissory note did say this doesn't disqualify me from prosecution. I would just think I would have heard something from police by now . Or they wouldn't have bothered saying " we won't be pursuing criminal charges at this time"

I am a Retail Theft Consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Right now your only concern is if the store subscribes to a Retail theft Database and if they do and your name has been put in there this will make retail work VERY difficult in future. Your BEST option is to pay what was promised as they have written admissions and your statements to give to DA if you provoke a criminal filing. Right now long as you pay the store has NOTHING to gain buy filing a criminal complaint. Refuse to pay and they do

I am a Retail Theft Consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Right now your only concern is if the store subscribes to a Retail theft Database and if they do and your name has been put in there this will make retail work VERY difficult in future. Your BEST option is to pay what was promised as they have written admissions and your statements to give to DA if you provoke a criminal filing. Right now long as you pay the store has NOTHING to gain buy filing a criminal complaint. Refuse to pay and they do
Yes I agree. I signed the promissory note and have a copy but nothing was sent to me yet it's been two weeks. I'm going to call the law firm and see if I have a file number with them yet. I'm just very scared every second.

Yes I agree. I signed the promissory note and have a copy but nothing was sent to me yet it's been two weeks. I'm going to call the law firm and see if I have a file number with them yet. I'm just very scared every second.

The time to have been afraid was missed.
You stole their junk unafraid, so now you just relax.
The more desperate you look, the more greedy they could become.
In fact, worse things can happen.

Just wait, stop bothering the law firm, the merchant, just wait patiently.

All you want to know will soon appear in your mail box in black and white.

Written information is what will be useful, anything spoken means nothing.

The time to have been afraid was missed.
You stole their junk unafraid, so now you just relax.
The more desperate you look, the more greedy they could become.
In fact, worse things can happen.

Just wait, stop bothering the law firm, the merchant, just wait patiently.

All you want to know will soon appear in your mail box in black and white.

Written information is what will be useful, anything spoken means nothing.
I agree with you on that one. I'm the only one who could have prevented this. Thank you for your advice!

Back