Emancipation??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kareena99

My stepson is 19 years old. His mother died a year ago, and he has refused to live with his father and myself. He has also tried to take us back to court for more support but was denied. He has made it clear he does not want to be involved in our lives. We do not have any knowledge of what is going on in his life. We do not know if he attends college, has a job, or even if we have any rights being he is considered an adult. Family court in our county just tells us to hire a lawyer, but that sounds easier than it is. We did talk to one lawyer but he gave us the run around and said it would just be easier to pay the 1 and 1/2 years that is left on the support. It kills me that we are paying for an "adult" who wants nothing to do with us except the money. Is there something we could do or should we just continue to live like this?

What state are you in?

You need to look up your state's support guidelines. Most states are online. Child support in Indiana is until 21 unless you can prove certain things.

1. 18 and over
2. has not attend post secondary school (high school, sometimes college) for four months or more. Depends on your state.
3. has job or is capable of having job.
4. not under parent's control or living with them
5. married
6. armed forces

All we had to do was prove the first three things. We had an ex trying to say 19 year old was living with her, going to college but she hadn't even signed up for classes.

Sometimes, you can file yourself. Its called pro se. But I would look up your state's guidelines. You may have to talk to attorney.

Good Luck,
Gearhart7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back