Emancipation

Lovehistory

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
Alright so I'm about to turn 16 like to be emancipated. I've read and I know everything that has to be done with I understand that I would have to pay for a judge and for the process weather it went through or not. But I don't no it's my reasons good enough, see I want to be emancipated so I can leave them with them my mother is a really good mom for some reason and she takes all her anger out on me and she holds me to higher standards that I can never meet when I can't do something or or admit that I don't know how to do something she gets very mad and she says a lot of mean and hurtful things I'm tired of her trying to control every aspect of my life and not being able to help me get where I need to get I would love my father but he has no custody order me whatever would not let me because she just wants to be mean

Every day I read a handful of stories from teenagers identical to yours.

No, you aren't going to be awarded emancipation by a judge.

Accept the fact that you need to stay home, do what you are told, tough it out, and when you are 18 you become an adult in the eyes of the law and you can leave home.

No reason is good enough unless you can FIRST convince a judge that you are able to pay every single penny of what it takes to support you. That means that without any outside assistance you are able to pay market rent, utilities, food, clothing, health insurance (despite what you may have heard, it is still required by law), transportation and any associated insurance for that, staples, school fees and supplies, and all the other incidentals of life. If you can't do that, it doesn't matter what your reason is.

However, I will tell you right now - No. You will NOT be emancipated for the reason you indicate, EVEN IF YOU COULD accomplish what I outlined above.

Sounds more like you and mom need to have a serious talk about her expectations and yours. Do you have another adult who could help you talk to her? Family friend, grandparent, aunt?

Alright so I'm about to turn 16 like to be emancipated. I've read and I know everything that has to be done with I understand that I would have to pay for a judge and for the process weather it went through or not. But I don't no it's my reasons good enough, see I want to be emancipated so I can leave them with them my mother is a really good mom for some reason and she takes all her anger out on me and she holds me to higher standards that I can never meet when I can't do something or or admit that I don't know how to do something she gets very mad and she says a lot of mean and hurtful things I'm tired of her trying to control every aspect of my life and not being able to help me get where I need to get I would love my father but he has no custody order me whatever would not let me because she just wants to be mean

No you don't understand how emancipation works at all.

- You don't "pay a judge." If you hire a lawyer you pay a lawyer to defend you. But don't try to pay a judge. That won't go well for you.

- Your mom is a good mom but she yells at you? She holds you to a higher standard? Are you the oldest? That's not abuse. That's parenting.

If you tell the judge you want to be emancipated because your mom is sometimes "mean" to you won't get far at all. You need to read the thousands of other threads on here about emancipation.

Have you ever talked to your mom about this? Or your dad? Or both? That's where you need to start.

Back