Emancipation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeroka

I'm a 14 year old living in the state of California and I'm looking to become an emancipated minor as soon as possible. My mother was abusive and dcfs took me out of her care and placed me with my alcoholic father and step-mother. I'm pretty used to taking care of myself, and everybody else for that matter, since nobody is ever around. I don't want to go back into foster care and be a ward of the state. I'm actively looking for a job and I've found a place where I can stay where the rent is reasonable so that I may also pay for insurance, groceries, clothes, and etc. from getting paid at minimum wage. I was wondering where I would need to start and what kind of chance I may have. I would greatly appreciate any help!! Thank you.

Your chance of emancipation is just about zero.

Judges look for reasons to deny emancipation, and it's VERY rare for a 14 year old to be emancipated. "I'm looking for a job" is not HAVING a job. A minimum wage job is not going to be enough to pay for insurance, clothes and groceries even if the rent and utiliites are zero (good luck with that). Even some celebrities earning hundreds of thousands of dollars have been denied emancipation (google LeeAnn Rimes).

Whether you want to go back to foster care or not, chances are VERY good that given a choice between emancipating a 14 year old with no job (or a minimum wage job ) and placing that same child in foster care, a judge is going to go for foster care just about every time.

Since my chances of becoming emancipated are slim to none are there any other options for me to get out of my home situation other than foster care?

Only if you have the permission of whoever is currently your legal guardian to live elsewhere. You have four years to go before you can legally live anywhere except where your legal guardian (even if that legal guardian is the state) tells you you may live.

There have been certain cases where a judge has releaed a 14 year old to be emancipated though and by the time the case settles I'll be 15. Would I still have no chance even if I had a really good lawyer and met all the requirements?

Last edited:
You watch too much TV there is no loophole. CBG gave you the answer you asked for. You cannot be emancipated. CBG and my husband talk to hundreds, I am guessing, of teens each month over this very same topic. The answer is always the same. You cannot become an emancipated teen.

Well thank you for taking the time to help me out and for answering my questions. I apologize for second guessing you CBG. I realize that you are right I just didn't want to believe it. Thank you for bringing me back to reality. And for the record I don't watch TV. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back