Emancipation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikari

I currently live in NY, my father moved to NC 6 years ago.
I'm looking into becoming emancipated now though. All three of my parents are abuseive, verbally and physicaly. Iv'e been having trouble finding requirements for emancipation of teeangers in both NY and NC. I have alot of bad history that I am currently trying to heal from with therepy, but me gaurdian is 'preventing' me from acually healing form those things.
I feel that the only way I can really heal from things and get a somewhat normal life back together I need to be emancipated. I'm pretty positive that the age for NY is 16 or 18.. I am only 13 though.
Is there any way I could get away, without having to move to foster parents? Or are their certain circumstances to the emancipation rules?

Rules for Emancipation

What are the guidelines for emancipation. My son's half brother has ran away from home to our front porch. He is 16 yrs old. He is talking about getting emancipated, finishing school and working part time to support himself. Granted he has never worked a day in his life, and supporting himself would probably be impossible. I'm worried about him, and would like something in writing that would explain the process and guidelines of going about becoming emancipated.
Thanks for the info!
New member :eek:

Christyd: Not all states allow a minor to be emancipated, and in those that do, the requirements vary. However, there are two items that are reasonably constant - one is parental permission and the other is the demonstrated ability to COMPLETELY support oneself. That means paying rent, food, travel, insurance, medical care, entertainment, and so on without help from parents, state aid, roommates, Aunt Susan or Grandma.

Ikari, read the above. Also, NO state will emancipate a 13 year old. ONE state, and it is neither NY nor NC, will consider emancipating a 14 year old but ONLY if all other conditions, including the ability to support oneself, are met, and even then only if the teen has a compelling, and I do mean COMPELLING reason why. No other state will even consider emancipating a minor who is under 16, and some require you to be 17. At 18 you are automatically emancipated as far as the law is concerned; however if your parents are still financially supporting you, you still have to do what they say.

emancipating a minor

:confused: I have a sixteen year old neice who has been trying to get away from her alcholic, and quite frankly abusive mother. She is one of thirteen people living in a two bedroom apartment and thought getting pregnant was the only way to get out of the this unhealthy living situation. I have had guardianship of her before because her mother did not want to take care of her four children and sent them with other members of the family. So now, my neice wants to stay with me in my home again but her mother is stubborn and wants to keep her there so she can learn responsibility, in her words "the hard way". I told my neice that emancipation was probably her only option now and she's willing to do whatever it takes. The father(my brother) I believe still has guardianship rights. Any information on the process of emancipating a minor or using the father would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back