Emancipation or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

knsetzer

I am writing to find out what i need to do. We have a family friend who is 14. She lost her mother a couple years ago and is now living with her step dad and half brother and step brother. She has no idea who real dad is or even if he is alive the last she heard he wasnt. Her step dad does not have legal custody of her only a marriage licence showing that her mom and him were married. She does not like her situation./ Her step dad is recieving death benefits through Social Securtiy on all three children. She does not see a dime of that money. What can we do legally to have her live with us? We live in Arkansas.

Emancipation is not what your asking about. What you want is change of guardianship. By the way if Step Dad is putting a roof over her head and food in her belly the money is being used on her!

Since she is living with a blood relative, her half brother, there is probably little hope in gaining guardianship. Plus, her grandparents, aunts and uncles would be first in line. She also has no chance of becoming emancipated. She would have to be self-supporting and living on her own. Unless the step-father is unfit, I don't think there's a reason to change her living arrangements. As for as the death benefits, if she has a home and she is cared for, then she IS seeing the money.

There are no blood relatives in the area. I know that he can use part of the money for roof and food but she is also entilted to a share of it. The ss law is that the minor will recieve 1/3 of the money for what he or she wants, 1/3 is to be saved for emeregence situations, and 1/3 can be used for living and other bills. To an extent he is unfit. The little brother is the favorite of the family and recieves everything. Spoiled. She does the cleaning and laundry for everyone. THe eldest brother, is 17 and father works nights. Brother brings in older boys 17-20 into the household dad will not do anything and allows it to go on. THere is a grandmother there but she is also step. She is hate and mean to child. goes to bed locks door and does nothing. Older brother is violent at times and has been known for stealing and drug use in home. She has to keep door locked to feel safe in home. Again has on numerous occasions asked step dad to do something about it he tells her to shut up and quit whining. Step dad also drink pretty heavily.

The ss law is that the minor will recieve 1/3 of the money for what he or she wants, 1/3 is to be saved for emeregence situations, and 1/3 can be used for living and other bills.
Can you provide a link to this law? I can't find it.

To an extent he is unfit. The little brother is the favorite of the family and recieves everything. Spoiled. She does the cleaning and laundry for everyone. THe eldest brother, is 17 and father works nights. Brother brings in older boys 17-20 into the household dad will not do anything and allows it to go on. THere is a grandmother there but she is also step. She is hate and mean to child. goes to bed locks door and does nothing. Older brother is violent at times and has been known for stealing and drug use in home. She has to keep door locked to feel safe in home. Again has on numerous occasions asked step dad to do something about it he tells her to shut up and quit whining. Step dad also drink pretty heavily.
If you feel he is unfit, then you should make a report to Child Protective Services.

dont know were to find specific law but friend of mine is recieving benefits for her child and SS told her that this was the way. Maybe look online at Social Security

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back