Emancipation of 17-year-old Full-time College Student

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chanakin

Here's the situation. I am a 17 year old full-time college student in New York, but I come from Tennessee. I have been attending college since the age of 16, and graduated from high school at the age of 17 (dual enrollment full-time for one semester of high school). My mother refuses to support me financially because I have decided not to return home for Thanksgiving break. I have received no financial support since the beginning of the fall quarter of my college, which started in September, from my mother. My father has also not assisted financially (unless paying for a cell phone counts, but that is not necessary for living). I am now faced with trying to pay 650 dollars to remain in college with absolutely no financial support from either parent. What must I do to become emancipated? I know I have reached the age of majority, and I can and will get a job if that will prove that I can support myself; the only money I require currently is the money to cover my bill to RIT, my college, which I can get through personal loans like my other student loans. My grandmother is the only person currently offering me any financial support, and she is not my legal guardian. I need to get legal emancipation from my parents ASAP, as my mother is only causing me distress and trying to force me to drop out of my college by not paying for my financial obligations to RIT. She's the one who told me not to get a job, as well, because she agreed to pay for the bill. Now she is backing out, and no support will be given. I need a way to be considered an adult so I can take care of my finances and other needs accordingly. All my insurance, etc, is covered by my tuition to my college, so technically I'm self-sufficient; I have a college fund that should cover any additional costs to RIT that isn't being covered by my financial aid given. Thanks for the advice.

Try this link to a TN Legal Aid booklet on the subject:

http://www.tennlegalaid.com/Library...pation.pdf?topic_id=1000001&library=PublicWeb

The process is not short, and it is not easy. Unless you can secure assistance in short order, you may not be able to remain in school. You might consider checking with campus legal services at your current school- many colleges and universities have legal assistance for students available to some degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back