Elder Law Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark1818

Jurisdiction
Florida
My Father in law is 84 and is having a tough time (his memory is going). We moved him in with us because he was having a tough time and was alone constantly. His house was also becoming progressively more messy and he has developed a bug problem in his kitchen. He was always a bit of a hoarder but that is becoming worse. We also think he has an issue with shoplifting (not arrested but we have reason to suspect). My wife has left her job to help care for him. After getting him home we realized that he is having a even tougher time than we thought. He wants everything turned over to his daughter (my wife) because he knows his mind is slipping. I think it is better done now than before his mind gets any worse. Who do we contact (what type of attorney)? I am not sure if we should transfer everything to her name or just have her take guardianship of him. There is also the concern of his driving. He of course wants the freedom to drive but he was in an accident 8 months ago and since has blown 2 tires from hitting curbs. In my opinion he shouldn't drive and we may have to push that later on as I think he is a danger to himself and others (if not now I think he will be eventually).

I fear that if we don't act on this he will slip past the point of being competent enough to knowingly agree later on.

Not sure what type of lawyer to use or if this is something we can do ourselves.

Google "elder law" for your city. That should bring up a list of lawyers who specialize in "elder law."

I agree that this should be handled ASAP while he still has enough periods of lucidity to understand what he is doing and signing.

Ditto selling his house. You need to jump on that, too, even if it means hiring a dumpster and some temp laborers to clean it out and dispose of the junk.

As for his driving. If it becomes necessary to push the issue, and he won't cooperate, here's the form for reporting to the DMV:

http://www.flhsmv.gov/forms/72190.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back