Elder Abuse: Captivity for financial assets

Status
Not open for further replies.

raineleor

I need suggestions as to how to extract gma from her son's house where she is kept in a small room & cannot come or go without permission because he is afraid she will sign over her assets to someone else. I have tried Adult Protective Services but they are ineffective, lots of talk about how much they care about elders, but no ability to extract gma from a captivity situation. I listen to her cry to me on the phone, complain bitterly to other relatives day in and out, she suspects the pills he feeds her everyday are not from her doctor but mood altering, and her depression is dramatically worsening. Furthermore, he claims to the rest of the family that she has altzheimer's when we know she doesn't. I can't prove anything so my best instinct is to find a way to walk off with her. Any help out there?

If granny lives with her son, are you a child of sonny's?

If not, who are you to granny?

Yes, your answer matters.

Grandma can simply walk away if she chooses. If someone is preventing her from doing that then she should be calling police.

If she is incapable of walking away on her own or calling the police, you can always speak with the police and ask that they conduct a welfare check to speak with her - perhaps with APS in tow.

But, if all this is simply guesswork on your part, you may be wrong.

Thanks for all the interest. The situation is something like Stockholm syndrome in that Gma will tell her extended family on the phone how miserable she is, but to her son and to authorities she is a shrinking violet and will not speak her truths. She's scared and in situations when authorities are present, always speaks in a way she thinks will please the man in power. We've tried APS and the police. They interview her but she will not tell them what she wants, just what she thinks her son wants her to say, which is typical for folks who are vulnerable to their captor. She wants to leave but is too fearful to try walking off, even though we've assured her that we will be at the curb to pick her up. This situation is not cut and dried, so that is why I'm seeking creative feedback.

Unfortunately, in order to take legal action you need something a little less cryptic. They will need something concrete in order to act.

Perhaps someone can get her alone with a doctor who can speak with her and then make the report to the authorities if she affirms she is being abused in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back