Duties of consevator (executor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

prophetic58

As consevator (person that was being taken care of now deceased), would it not be a duty to pay bills for the person as the bills come in? The consevator (and executor) of my cousins estate is now saying that claims have come in against the estate from 1990???? Is that possible? I thought these financial matters were supposed to be handled in a timely fashion. But 19 year old bills, hmmmm. Please advise.

Not necessarily, and if the conservator was not also power of attorney for the person that was being taken care of, they may not have had the power to pay the person's bills anyways. What were the terms of the order appointing the conservator?

I have no idea what the terms were. He took over as consevator just around that time. He said this bill was before he took over. I would think that all accounting would have been transferred to him to look into. My cousin was military. Anything medical (which the bill was from a medical facility stay), should have been handled through the veterans administration,so I thought. Well, I am still learning through this whole process. Thank you for your quick reply. Also, should I ask for a report of the final accounting? At least I will know where everything has went, since the executor is not showing me much.

Last edited:
I don't know the specifics of Connecticut law and whether you are entitled to a final accounting. Are you an heir? And when did your cousin die? Perhaps the executor is not required to render a final accounting for some time yet. If so, you might still be able to have access to an interim or annual accounting.

I am sorry. I did not make it very clear. Yes, I am an heir. The consevator/executor is the other heir. My cousin died May 12, 2009. I know there is a waiting period for everything to play out. I was just curious about these 19 year old bills that suddenly appeared after death. Thank you so much for the information thus far.

I'd be curious about 19 year old bills too. I might suspect collusion between the executor and the person being paid.

Thank you very much. I have made him aware that I want these bills investigated. He claims that he has contested them through probate. We will see. However, I do believe I am entitled to see a full accounting of all that has been paid out thus far. Your replies have definitely put some light on the subject. Thank you so much.

Since I last spoke to the executor and explained that I want these 19 year old bills investigated, I have not heard from him. This entire matter is still in probate. This has already been back and forth since May 13, 2009. I have pondered a couple of things. One, if there was only enough left in the estate to pay for these "supposed" 19 year old bills, then why was probate so desperately looking for heirs? If there is no money, what is the big problem? Probate secured an attorney especially to look for heirs. Hmmm. Curious. Question, can I ask for this executor to be removed at this point, or should I just leave it to probate to straighten this out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back