DUI

santino yabra

Jurisdiction
California
Can you get dui 3hours after you have gone home and chp comes to your house to ask questions. No vehicle involved car is 1 mile away from your house left there but he didn't get it vehicle involved car is 1 mile away from your house left there but he didn't want to drink and drive. Please help

Can you get dui 3hours after you have gone home and chp comes to your house to ask questions. No vehicle involved car is 1 mile away from your house left there but he didn't get it vehicle involved car is 1 mile away from your house left there but he didn't want to drink and drive. Please help

If a person gets drunk, wrecks a car, maybe hits other cars, abandons the car, returns to his home to hide out, not much help for him EXCEPT to say, when the cops come calling you say, "Sorry, I have nothing to say. I will remain silent as is my right. I want a lawyer."

Then no matter what happens, keep repeating "I want a lawyer, and I will remain silent."

You might get lucky and the cops go away.

However, these days, cops can get lots of forensic help to gather a great deal of incriminating evidence.

No need to cry now, what's done is done.

Cooperate if you are arrested, but remain silent.

Yes.
Evidence will have to show that a person was driving OR HAD BEEN DRIVING while impaired.
After time has passed it might be harder to prove impairment at the time in question, but not impossible.
It would be difficult to prove the impairment did not occur during the elapsed time. Has the person been drinking at home for the last 3 hours while sitting on the couch?
Statements made at the time of police contact could limit the ability to make certain arguments on defense later.
The arrest is legitimate if based on probable cause, but a conviction in court is entirely different. A defense attorney who specializes in DUI matters will know exactly what to do with this.

For what it's worth, there are cameras almost everywhere these days. It would likely not be hard to prove whether someone did or did not drive a vehicle.

Back