Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI DUI with nothing illegal in system

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdocker

I was recently pulled over and arrested on suspicion of a DUI in ct. I had no alcohol in my system and they took a urine sample. I had earlier taken several prescription medications (Sonata, Xanax and Seroquel, used for sleeping) but nothing illegal. My question is, can I be charged with a DUI? I also have to appear in court in a week and didn't know if I would really need a lawyer. I was pulled over actually because I had a front light out and they didn't take me in until I told them I was on sleeping pills. I was not driving erratically or anything.

I appreciate any information someone can give me.

If you have a prescription for the drugs get a copy and take it to court -a judge may be lax on a first offender. You can sill be convicted of a DUI however if no one informed you not to operate a vehicle you may be able to argue that you where never told you couldn't drive while taking the drugs. you should always consult an lawyer he will be used to talking to a judge and will know how to phrase things in your favor. he may also know more about DUI charges in your state and policy on prescription drugs. -oh and you may want to look on the bottle. if it says do not operate heavy machinery while taking-you may have a uphill battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back