1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

DUI (GA) 10 Years Ago?

Discussion in 'DUI, DWI, BUI, Drunk Driving' started by MikeGD3, Sep 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. MikeGD3

MikeGD3 Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Georgia
    Hello, new here, and apologies in advance for asking a question first instead of
    an "Introductory Post" But it is a very important question to me.

Long story short, I received a "DUI LESS SAFE" In GA (ATLANTA) In 2010,
    I, being an alcoholic or "if I didn't drink I use to shake"
    at the time and thought I couldn't last a day without
    alcohol, even a couple hours to go to court, I skipped town and been laying
    low without a license and a warrant for 10 years,

It was around the beginning of this year (2020) that I decided I
    wanted to get
    that off my head since I've been going to college to get an ADN
    (Nursing Degree) I have around a year left. So I called and made arrangements
    to pay the fines with the court which were (DUI LESS SAFE) & (Failure To Maintain
    Lane) Total it was $2800.

After doing so, the court gave me papers to reinstate my license, which was
    DUI School, Fine, and redoing my DL test since it has been so long, which I did
    (completed all of those) And I got my license back.

And obviously, after paying the fine(s) to the court, they issued me another court
    date, which is coming up soon, so my question is and I know, no one can predict what a judge can do/will do, but in your opinion, what might
    I be looking at? I included some related details relating to the DUI itself below, thanks again and have a blessed day!

DUI Less Safe
    The reason I was pulled over was the Failure to maintain lane.

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

If you're lucky probation.
    If you're holding a shamrock in your left hand, a horseshoe in your right, maybe nothing but an admonishment to go forth and offend no more, dear citizen.

3. justblue

justblue Well-Known Member

OP might want to add a St. Monica's medal to go with the shamrock (4 leaf) and horseshoe ...just to cover all the bases. ;)

army judge likes this.
  4. mightymoose

mightymoose Moderator

If you are able to show that you have stayed out of trouble ever since you could walk away with nothing more than the past due fines. Nothing is achieved by imposing a harsh penalty at this point.

5. flyingron

flyingron Well-Known Member

As you were told on the other forum, there's no difference in penalties (if you are over 21) for DUI less safe vs. DUI per se. They are the same crime. The only difference is for under 21, per se violations. If you were charged under the "less safe" version, you weren't charged with the under 21 version.

Your DT defense isn't likely to work. In fact, mentioning it bodes AGAINST you. You need a lawyer.

6. MikeGD3

MikeGD3 Law Topic Starter New Member

Okay, Thanks for the feedback, all the fines have already been paid, 2800/dui & ftml, license fees, and the rest

7. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

If you've received counseling and/or joined AA and participate REGULARLY, providing proof of such endeavors WILL assist the probation agent investigating your background to ensure the judge has sufficient information about you at the sentencing HEARING to determine if leniency is appropriate.

Judges do look to see what steps a defendant has taken (or is taking) towards rehabilitation