Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI DUI at Roadblock in Mississippi

Status
Not open for further replies.

DUIGuy

Hi, I'm a grad student in Alabama that received in DUI early Saturday morning in Mississippi. I was coming back from a concert at a bar, leading my friend back to her house while she took our drunk friend home. It was in the "backwoods." I noticed a group of police officers blocking the road with their lights off. I pulled over to the side of the road. They said "Well well look a here. License and proof of insurance. How much have you had to drink?" I said a beer 2 hours a go (I lied.). They told me to blow into a breathalyzer. I complied. They said "a beer huh tell the truth." I said "Maybe more but it has at least been an hour (which I believed it had.). They waved my friend behind me through (who was sober) and asked why I didn't ride with her. I said she asked me to lead her home as she was lost (which she did). They asked me to step out of the car. One officer gave me a field test. It was pretty intense. I don't think I did that bad, but apparently I failed. Meanwhile, they were searching another man they stopped, I believe on suspicion of drug possession. I was placed in the back of the cop car and taken to the station. I was never read any Miranda rights, but was told I was being detained on suspicion of DUI. I blew into the breath machine at the station twice. I blew a .084 and .083. The officer said the lowest reading would be read in court. The officer said he would help me in court since I was about to graduate grad school. I graduated with his brother and he was "Facebook friends" with the girl (a mini-celebrity here) in the car behind me. He said he could get me out of a conviction and seemed genuine. The booking officer (female) was nice and reiterated this to me. I was in a holding cell for 16 hours (because I couldn't adequately communicate with the outside). I finally bonded out. I am mandated to communicate this incident with my school, and the licensing authority in my field. This is pretty terrible for me. I know MS has a non-adjudication procedure that can be used once. I already used some form of this. I got a ticket for rolling through a stop sign before and took defensive driving. I paid the ticket, but it was not put on my record. .08 is the triggering level for a DUI. I have a "clean" record. I was arrested for trespassing 9 years ago in Indiana, but I accepted a pre-trial deferral. I abided by the terms and the charge was dismissed. It was not alcohol/drug related. What are my chances for getting out of this? What can I do?

Last edited:
You need a lawyer. Plead not guilty at your next court appearance and ask the court to appoint a lawyer to represent you. If you can afford to hire one,do it before your next hearing. From this point forward, mum's the word. So, stop your yammering.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Yes, an attorney is needed. In the mean time look into the legal requirements for a DUI checkpoint, or whatever reason the road was blocked.
If the roadblock was improper, such as insufficient notice, signs, and lighting, you might find a way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back