Property Invasion, Damages, Trespass Drunken Vandalism of/Possible Theft from a Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

marzipan

I only remember bits and pieces of the story and what I was told but I got drunk and went for a drive in the neighborhood, apparently smashed a car window and ran away to my car and fled. The next day I found blood in my car from where I cut myself deeply with a pocket knife and a bunch of random stuff in my car. The police said I was in the area looking suspicious but they left. A few weeks later I got another call saying someone had seen me running.
I honestly don't know if I did it, but if I did, what penalties am I looking at?

I only remember bits and pieces of the story and what I was told but I got drunk and went for a drive in the neighborhood, apparently smashed a car window and ran away to my car and fled. The next day I found blood in my car from where I cut myself deeply with a pocket knife and a bunch of random stuff in my car. The police said I was in the area looking suspicious but they left. A few weeks later I got another call saying someone had seen me running.
I honestly don't know if I did it, but if I did, what penalties am I looking at?

It depends, it depends on what you are charged with doing, and if you get convicted.
We are all innocent until we are convicted or plead guilty.

I suggest you plead not guilty (if charged or when you appear), admit to nothing explain nothing (you have the right to remain silent), use it.
Then hire your lawyer, or ask the court to appoint one to represent you, and it'll be determined if your finances qualify you for a public defender.

In the meantime, talk to your family physician, or the emergency room physician.
Explain the situation, and ask them for help.
You could also go to your county mental health agency and ask them to help you.
You might be useful to know if you have a medical or mental health issue that caused this to happen, or in any way had an effect on what eventually transpired.

You might also be suffering from epilepsy, diabetic shock, or some other medical problem.

If you've been using illegal drugs, or even what some are calling "medical" marijuana, seek treatment.
This could wind up killing you, or causing you to kill an uninvolved person.

It depends, it depends on what you are charged with doing, and if you get convicted.
We are all innocent until we are convicted or plead guilty.

I suggest you plead not guilty (if charged or when you appear), admit to nothing explain nothing (you have the right to remain silent), use it.
Then hire your lawyer, or ask the court to appoint one to represent you, and it'll be determined if your finances qualify you for a public defender.

In the meantime, talk to your family physician, or the emergency room physician.
Explain the situation, and ask them for help.
You could also go to your county mental health agency and ask them to help you.
You might be useful to know if you have a medical or mental health issue that caused this to happen, or in any way had an effect on what eventually transpired.

You might also be suffering from epilepsy, diabetic shock, or some other medical problem.

If you've been using illegal drugs, or even what some are calling "medical" marijuana, seek treatment.
This could wind up killing you, or causing you to kill an uninvolved person.

Thank you for your advice. I know I shouldn't think this way, but if I'm found guilty, what could they charge me with/time id face? every call from the police/detective is more damning info

Thank you for your advice. I know I shouldn't think this way, but if I'm found guilty, what could they charge me with/time id face? every call from the police/detective is more damning info

Anything I'd say about charges would just be a guess.
Let's just agree whatever happend was very serious and the charges (if any) will be very serious, too!
So, wait and let the police and district attorney do their thing, what's done is done.
Whatever you do, don't say anything to the police.
If they call, simply say, I wish to invoke my right to remain silent and I want an attorney.
Don't worry about what you may have said, just get medical and mental health treatment, that could be very helpful - especially if you've mistakenly blabbed.

Anything I'd say about charges would just be a guess.
Let's just agree whatever happend was very serious and the charges (if any) will be very serious, too!
So, wait and let the police and district attorney do their thing, what's done is done.
Whatever you do, don't say anything to the police.
If they call, simply say, I wish to invoke my right to remain silent and I want an attorney.
Don't worry about what you may have said, just get medical and mental health treatment, that could be very helpful - especially if you've mistakenly blabbed.

I guess now would be the time to admit this wasn't me, it was someone I know. That person is planning on returning the items and apogizingto the victims (neither of which have pressed charges yet as far as they are concerned). Is this a bad idea? its essentially admitting guilt buy couldn't it be restitution? the person in question is a legal adult

I guess now would be the time to admit this wasn't me, it was someone I know. That person is planning on returning the items and apogizingto the victims (neither of which have pressed charges yet as far as they are concerned). Is this a bad idea? its essentially admitting guilt buy couldn't it be restitution? the person in question is a legal adult

Before you do anything, you might want to see a criminal defense attorney. What you've done so far, could get you charged with some other crimes. You've placed yourself in jeopardy, and most police officers and prosecutors won't like how this developed.

You could be charged with obstruction, interfering with a police investigation, lying to law enforcement, it varies from state to state. This is the kind of thing that took down Martha Stewart and sent her to federal prison.

Last edited:
Before you do anything, you might want to see a criminal defense attorney. What you've done so far, could get you charged with some other crimes. You've placed yourself in jeopardy, and most police officers and prosecutors won't like how this developed.

You could be charged with obstruction, interfering with a police investigation, lying to law enforcement, it varies from state to state. This is the kind of thing that took down Martha Stewart and sent her to federal prison.

it really isn't me lol but this is terrible /: the person just wants to make things right and move past this but it looks like they're really gonna have to suffer. They are pretty broke so they keep refusing my advice about getting a lawyer and what not but I will tell them to seriously consider going to a doctor and a criminal defense attorney; although they were pretty dead set on making restitution today

it really isn't me lol but this is terrible /: the person just wants to make things right and move past this but it looks like they're really gonna have to suffer. They are pretty broke so they keep refusing my advice about getting a lawyer and what not but I will tell them to seriously consider going to a doctor and a criminal defense attorney; although they were pretty dead set on making restitution today

If arrested, they simply invoke, request a public defender, remain silent, and wait.
It's never wise to try to talk your way out f any criminal problem.

Yep; if the person is arrested, the person needs to get a lawyer or request a public defender if a lawyer cannot be afforded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back