Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI Drunk driving charge for young driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickless

I am very mad at my son for driving his car after going to a bar. He's 21 but just barely. It has been a bad week already with driving here and this DUI or DWI (not sure which) takes the cake. Supposedly he blew a 0.09 and that would put him over the limit. It's pretty slight and it's not much more and I think there is margin for error. I don't know how much. But you should have a designated driver whenever you go drinking and, if you do drink, you need to wait several hours and drink plenty of water or other non-alcoholic beverages to make sure you're totally sober. It's not just for not getting a ticket for DUI but also for his safety. Sometimes I don't think kids get the deal with drunk driving issues. Anyways, do we need a lawyer to handle this too? Is there something we can do like make a deal with the DA? I keep reading how many people get probation or things like that instead of being convicted of a DUI after going to court. Hopefully someone can help.

I am very mad at my son for driving his car after going to a bar. He's 21 but just barely. It has been a bad week already with driving here and this DUI or DWI (not sure which) takes the cake. Supposedly he blew a 0.09 and that would put him over the limit. It's pretty slight and it's not much more and I think there is margin for error. I don't know how much. But you should have a designated driver whenever you go drinking and, if you do drink, you need to wait several hours and drink plenty of water or other non-alcoholic beverages to make sure you're totally sober. It's not just for not getting a ticket for DUI but also for his safety. Sometimes I don't think kids get the deal with drunk driving issues. Anyways, do we need a lawyer to handle this too? Is there something we can do like make a deal with the DA? I keep reading how many people get probation or things like that instead of being convicted of a DUI after going to court. Hopefully someone can help.

Yes, he needs a lawyer.
Hire him a great lawyer.
He'll get probation, even if he is convicted.
That will be the least of his worries.
His insurance rates will skyrocket, if he can find an insurer.
This will sting him financially for years to come.
The lawyer will run at least $5,000, the fines and court costs can approach another $5,000, or more.
When this entire fiasco is over, someone will be out of almost $20,000.
Plus, the insurance costs will stay very high for at least several more years.

Rickless....
At least your not having to buy a casket for your son. Or having the thoughts of what is going to happen since your son crashed and killed a family. I fully agree with your thoughts. Kids don't really UNDERSTAND the true cost of a DUI. What could of happened etc... The best route today is with a good lawyer.... really good lawyer. I have NO... NO legal training. just really enjoy reading the whole process on this site. with that being said since i read and read legal issues daily. I can remember a lawyer in FL that got his client off because the company that made the breathalyzer machine wouldn't release the software program. They used the defence of being afforded the chance to review all evidence against his client. The law firm wanted to know... How does this machine work? How did it determine the alcohol in the system? So..... a good lawyer is always needed. Good luck....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back