Drs note Discrimination

Hope.Love.Faith

Jurisdiction
North Dakota
So I have a dog and I have a drs note from my dr for her. Our condo association has a no pet policy. I have a drs note though and the president of the condo association and I have spoke about it and he is okay with me having my dog. He never set up rules until a week ago saying where I need her to go potty because it might be affecting the grass. There also is a neighbor that has a dog that comes over to our condo like every day and goes potty on our lawn. I don't want to be blamed if his dog is ruining the grass by peeing on it or him not cleaning up after his dog. I always have my bags for my dog and clean up after her. I stress about this a little just in case if they try to come back on me. There is more though there are at least three people in the building that are being rude to be and that are mad because I have a drs note and a dog. One of them said she hates dogs and stares at me rudely when I take my dog potty. She also says more rude comments and complains to the president all the time. There also is someone I over heard talking in the hall about me and my dog saying how they don't see how I have a medical issue and how why did we buy this place knowing the rule. We never got the rules before buying the place anyways... whoever she was talking to said that she lives with a bunch of idiots. This now is running through my head none stop too.. also to add my bf and I are trying to sell this place and eventually buy a house after we sell this house. I'm wondering can I do something about this harassment because it is worry me and making things worse. Please help thanks!

If the president is okay with your dog, then don't worry about what the neighbors think or what kind of looks they give you. You plan on moving soon anyway. You're worrying about things that might happen. You can't plan for every possible event in life that might happen.

There is usually more than a president involved - usually a board of directors of some sort. Even if the president is okay with it the OP could still have a problem.

Those who move to place that do not allow animals often do so because they do not like animals. It can hardly be a surprise that such people would not be thrilled with yours. You can't police attitudes, nor can you force anyone to love your dog. Federal law does require your association or property manager allow an animal if it is either a service animal or an emotional support animal. If someone asks about your dog just state that it is an emotional support animal recommended by your doctor and leave it at that. You are responsible for the behavior of your guests so if a visitor is bringing over an animal, you need to make clear the expectations for the animal relieving itself. That animal does not have to be allowed at all if it is merely a pet.

Back