Drove car off dealership without license

Sean Gifford

Jurisdiction
Oklahoma
Me and my fiance bought a car off a dealership and neither one of us is able to legally drive by our selves. I have a permit and she's under 21. So I was just wondering if that was illegal to allow us to do and if we should take it to court.

Sure, take it to court. After all, it was someone else's responsibility to see that you didn't break the law, wasn't it? It was in no way up to you to see that a licensed driver was with you to take the car home - it was entirely on the car dealership to enforce that.

Don't be surprised when you and your girlfriend are the ones who end up paying the fine for illegally driving.

As long as you are age 18 or older, you are no longer a minor. You are an adult & can enter into a contract such as buying a car. (whether you can drive it alone or not)

Sure, take it to court. After all, it was someone else's responsibility to see that you didn't break the law, wasn't it? It was in no way up to you to see that a licensed driver was with you to take the car home - it was entirely on the car dealership to enforce that.

Don't be surprised when you and your girlfriend are the ones who end up paying the fine for illegally driving.
Sure I drove it off the lot everybody's driven illegally at some point but still they sold it and let me test drive the car without a license

Sure I drove it off the lot everybody's driven illegally at some point but still they sold it and let me test drive the car without a license

I've never driven without a license, and I've never broken ONE of THEIR laws.
I'm not bragging, I'm just saying that its unwise to assume EVERYONE has done what you've done.

That said, you have no case against the dealer for selling you a car.

I've known several people who never had a drivers license, but owned several cars.

My maternal grandmother, while driving a Model T Ford (yeah, way back around 1910) hit a man riding a bicycle. It wasn't her fault, the man ran into her car after being startled by an excited mule pulling delivery wagon along a muddy, unpaved street in Pt. Arthur, TX. From that day forward, grandmother never drove another car. Grandmother and grandfather were wealthy and he hired her a chauffeur. If grandfather didn't drive her around town, the chauffeur did.

It wasn't until 1935 when Texas required people to obtain a license to drive a car. Not so unusual, because you never had to have one to ride a horse or operate a horse drawn buggy. But, grandmother never obtained that license, because she had sworn off ever driving so as to avoid ever hurting another human being. My goodness, weren't people great back then?

Grandmother died after living for 105 years without ever having a drivers license. She was born in 1875 and died in 1980. My point, she never broke any of THEIR laws, either, and she disagreed with most of them.

My point is that you had the right to buy a car, because you're old enough to do so. Its your responsibility to obtain a drivers license, if you want to legally drive that car. But, maybe you're a trust fund kid and like to collect expensive cars. If that's your thing, no license is needed for that, is there?

The dealer should have asked you for your license before allowing you to test drive their car. I guess you must have an honest looking face, so they trusted you. You can sue them, if sue you must. But, I don't see your lawsuit causing them much fuss. You have no case on which a remedy should issue, because you weren't damaged, harmed, or made to suffer.

I have never driven illegally either!

Off topic but AJ your grandmother lived to 105 - wow!

I have never driven illegally either!

Off topic but AJ your grandmother lived to 105 - wow!
That she did, Betty.
What a grand old dame she was, too.
Imagine any movie depicting life in the south between 1930 through 1955, or Driving Miss Daisy, as portrayed by Jessica Tandy, that's my grandmother, the "anywoman".
I took it upon myself to sit with her in her last year.
She had good days, and bad days.
We'd sit and I'd ask her about the changes she had seen in her 100 years on this planet, horses, bicycles, steam engines, diesel powered trains, prop planes, jet planes, WW I, WWII, The Korean War, women's suffrage (she championed that all of her life), civil rights, voting rights, equal treatment for women, and gardening. She loved her roses, and her vegetable garden.
My brother and I loved spending several weeks with her each summer break, even though she worked us like mules. LOL

Well, I recorded her oral history of our family, her life - the good and the bad, and her devotion to Christ, living right, and reading her Bible.

I think I had almost 200 hours of tape.
I gave copies to my mother and my aunt, and they both cried.
They would listen to her voice on those tapes for hours on end.
These days I've taken to videoing my story for my kids and grand kids.
I've gotten several of my friends to do the same thing for posterity and family history.

That's wonderful, AJ...............

Back