Don't know what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrcker07

Jurisdiction
California
I was teaching my younger brother how to drive and he floored it on reverse and crashed into a private property wall. His arm was hurting and my head was hurting and we left. How do I report something like this? Because there was someone there that my brother said took our plates and he said something about damage to the wall, but we looked at it and it was fine, the car wasnt and is at a body shop right now. Dad told me that I don't have to tell my insurance because I have basic coverage and it won't help towards the repair of my car.

I was teaching my younger brother how to drive and he floored it on reverse and crashed into a private property wall. His arm was hurting and my head was hurting and we left. How do I report something like this? Because there was someone there that my brother said took our plates and he said something about damage to the wall, but we looked at it and it was fine, the car wasnt and is at a body shop right now. Dad told me that I don't have to tell my insurance because I have basic coverage and it won't help towards the repair of my car.
I suggest you consult with a criminal defense attorney. Hit and Run is a crime. I also suggest you report to your insurance. Not reporting may be grounds for cancelation of the policy. BYW: How old is your brother? Does he have a permit?

Last edited:
I was teaching my younger brother how to drive and he floored it on reverse and crashed into a private property wall.

How old are you?

How old is your brother?

Does your brother have a learner's permit?

How do I report something like this?

To whom would you like to report it?

Dad told me that I don't have to tell my insurance because I have basic coverage and it won't help towards the repair of my car.

I assume "basic coverage" means you don't have collision coverage. Even if that's true, your father is wrong. Read your insurance policy. It has language that obligates you to promptly report facts that may give rise to a claim.

You and your brother also have a big problem with leaving the scene of an accident.

Not reporting is grounds for cancelation of the policy.

No, it isn't. If the failure to report resulted in prejudice to the insurer, it might be grounds for the insurer not indemnify the insured, but it would not allow the insurer to cancel the policy.

No, it isn't. If the failure to report resulted in prejudice to the insurer, it might be grounds for the insurer not indemnify the insured, but it would not allow the insurer to cancel the policy.
True, but it could result in non-renewal.

How old are you?

How old is your brother?

Does your brother have a learner's permit?

To whom would you like to report it?

I assume "basic coverage" means you don't have collision coverage. Even if that's true, your father is wrong. Read your insurance policy. It has language that obligates you to promptly report facts that may give rise to a claim.

You and your brother also have a big problem with leaving the scene of an accident.
Thank You...I edited my post accordingly.

What you describe is a hit and run. If someone was there you should have exchanged information before leaving.
If the total of all damage exceeds $1000 you are required to submit an SR-1 form to the DMV. Your insurance could do this on your behalf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back