Donation of Pizzas for Church Event

Jurisdiction
Wisconsin
My church hosts a large event for college-age men and women (whether or not they're in college and whether or not they attend our church) every year. It's basically a celebration of the completion of the fall semester, and the end of another calendar year, with some religious content sprinkled throughout the day and one actual religious service in the evening, followed by a party. It features things like stretches and relaxation exercises, hugging trained support animals, trivia contests, gratitude exercises, etc., for the most part. It has become a local "thing" attended by hundreds of college-age students every year.

My church was basically begging for volunteers to work at this event and I was unable to volunteer in person. So they suggested that I contribute pizzas for the party after the evening service, which I did -- many hundreds of dollars worth of pizzas, which I had delivered to the church at the end of the service. I paid for the pizzas, the delivery fees, and substantial tips.

I have a receipt, but it is from the Pizza company, not from the church.

I also have the written request from the church that I contribute this, the delivery receipt from the pizza company that the pizzas were delivered to the church, and a signed email from the church thanking me for the pizzas which were received and eaten at the party after the service (as planned).

Can I take this as a charitable donation to my church? I'm concerned because the payment went directly to the pizza company. Donations directly to the church (to which I contribute frequently) are tax deductible but I have questions about whether this counts.

Thank you.

Can I take this as a charitable donation to my church? I'm concerned because the payment went directly to the pizza company. Donations directly to the church (to which I contribute frequently) are tax deductible but I have questions about whether this counts.
You can take the deduction because you paid for pizza and gave it to the church. It is an in kind contribution.

Back