Domestic Violence 1st Offense

KKnick

Jurisdiction
Mississippi
I was charged with domestic violence in October of 2016. My lawyer got the case put off as I plead not guilty at the initial appearance. I was told it was a misdemeanor but I still had to appear in front of the judge. The supposed victim, my girlfriend, says she doesn't want to take this issue any further and says she thinks the best way to get the charge dropped is just to not show up at court. Will they drop the charges? Will she get in any trouble? She had a hurt back and takes massive amounts of medication especially opiates and was 5 dilaudid into it when this incident occurred. She's remembering a different realty and i was just attempting to retrieve my keys and leave when she called 911 and said I had grappled with her or something along those lines. If she's a no show will that help to get my charge dismissed?

. If she's a no show will that help to get my charge dismissed?

No, it'll only make more trouble for her by ignoring a summons.
It won't help you, either.
The case will be continued until she can be located.

I was charged with domestic violence in October of 2016. My lawyer got the case put off as I plead not guilty at the initial appearance. I was told it was a misdemeanor but I still had to appear in front of the judge. The supposed victim, my girlfriend, says she doesn't want to take this issue any further and says she thinks the best way to get the charge dropped is just to not show up at court. Will they drop the charges? Will she get in any trouble? She had a hurt back and takes massive amounts of medication especially opiates and was 5 dilaudid into it when this incident occurred. She's remembering a different realty and i was just attempting to retrieve my keys and leave when she called 911 and said I had grappled with her or something along those lines. If she's a no show will that help to get my charge dismissed?

Not necessarily. If she is subpoenaed she has to show up. Do you have a lawyer? Have you told this person about her drug use? Your lawyer can use that to argue when she gets on the stand.

If you didn't do it... Then fight this tooth and nail. You lose your gun rights for LIFE when convicted of DV. I am a pain killer user and fully understands sometimes they can make me in a foul mood. Yet again.... If you did this action then man up and accept the punishment.

Not necessarily. If she is subpoenaed she has to show up. Do you have a lawyer? Have you told this person about her drug use? Your lawyer can use that to argue when she gets on the stand.
Yes I have a lawyer and he does know about her medications. Most everyone that goes before this judge gets their charges dropped if they complete anger management but I really have an issue with this in that I reached over her left shoulder and snatched my keys out of her hand. Im 6'3 and she's 5'5 so touching or any of that really wasn't an issue. She had refused to give me my car keys back after she had sneakingly picked them up when she thought I wasn't paying attention. She had taken 5x4mg. Dilaudid that day which is how much she's prescribed. She also is prescribed valium, neurotin, symbalta, and Xanax. There are some more meds but im not really sure about all of them. Anyway, she has a bad habit of taking her meds and not eating and there you go. There's no telling which personality will show up. She's got a hurt back from a 2009 accident and she plays on this a lot in certain situations. I just want this situation resolved. On top of all of this she has contacted me over the past several months like nothing is wrong.

Back