Domain theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuestGirl

Had friend stay with me 3 weeks on house arrest. When left, stole two early 1900's antique platinum diamond rings, value $3500 in 1985. She pawned them the next day.
I live in Johnson County Kansas. They have decided not to press charges against this girl. And I have to pay $350 get my stolen rings out of pawn shop. Something not right

I agree. Your judgment is skewed. The "on probation" part should have been an extra warning. Glad you managed to undo the issues so cheaply. Be more careful whom you allow in your home next time.

Though there were no criminal charges, for whatever reason, you could still sue in civil court to recover your loss.
It seems unlikely the person has the means to pay even if you did sue, so it is probably not something to pursue.
Lesson learned.... be careful who you let in to your home.

Yes, learned lesson. Thankful not sold Cash for Gold. Have heard should not have to pay to get my rings back. Thief in state prison now for forgery and possession charges. I had not grasp whole picture, fairly new 'friend'. I'm stupid !!!

Last edited:
Mightymoose,
Never again unless my own daughter. My discernment tells me County wants something from me, think I know what that might be. Or simple answer is I took the risk housing said thief. Still, the two rings today value upward to $10,000. Thankful pawn shop obeyed the law in submitting descriptions to local PD's. Rings were found in two days of report. Thankful had appraisals with pictures done in 1985, back when I thought... I was poor. I just don't have $350, to get them out. Question: Could I demand ever so kindly, that said County buy them back for me? Just a thought.

Mightymoose,
Never again unless my own daughter. My discernment tells me County wants something from me, think I know what that might be. Or simple answer is I took the risk housing said thief. Still, the two rings today value upward to $10,000. Thankful pawn shop obeyed the law in submitting descriptions to local PD's. Rings were found in two days of report. Thankful had appraisals with pictures done in 1985, back when I thought... I was poor. I just don't have $350, to get them out. Question: Could I demand ever so kindly, that said County buy them back for me? Just a thought.

If you don't have the money, most pawn shops will "refi" the debt. That gives you more time to get the money.
But, it'll cost you a little more money, too.
Whatever you do, don't ignore this. When the time is up, the pawn unreceemed, the pawn shop will own the property.

The amount you have to pay to get your property is what you would sue the offender for. In this case you seem to be stuck with the bill.
The police will not recover your property for you. You need to find a way to come up with the cash quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back