Premises Liability Dog killed by car because landscaper left gate open twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

schachinger40

Hello,

I just happened to come across this site today and would be extremely grateful for some guidance. I do apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

My Mother-in-law who lives in Virginia hired a landscaping company to come by and mow the yard every few weeks. About a month ago one of the workers left the gate open when they left and the dog got out. My mother-in-law was able to find him and immediately complained to the owner of the company. Well, a couple weeks later they did it again and this time the dog was killed by a car.

Would this company be liable for damages?

Thank you very much

Hello,

I just happened to come across this site today and would be extremely grateful for some guidance. I do apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

My Mother-in-law who lives in Virginia hired a landscaping company to come by and mow the yard every few weeks. About a month ago one of the workers left the gate open when they left and the dog got out. My mother-in-law was able to find him and immediately complained to the owner of the company. Well, a couple weeks later they did it again and this time the dog was killed by a car.

Would this company be liable for damages?

Thank you very much

Your mother can sue for the VALUE of her dog. The VALUE is what it cost her, not what worth she places on the dog's life. For instance it was a pound puppy. She paid $200 to adopt it. That's the value she could TRY to convince a small claims court to award her.

Her problem would be PROVING who left the gate open. That won't be easy.

Your mother can sue for the VALUE of her dog. The VALUE is what it cost her, not what worth she places on the dog's life. For instance it was a pound puppy. She paid $200 to adopt it. That's the value she could TRY to convince a small claims court to award her.

Her problem would be PROVING who left the gate open. That won't be easy.

Thank you for your quick reply.

What about medication or other expenses? Could that be counted towards this value?

If you mean medication & expenses after the dog being hit by a car & before it died (vet bills for example), she can try. She can't sure for normal medication the dog was taking before being hit by the car or other dog expenses - dog food, shots, etc. that had nothing to do with the dog getting out.

It "sounds like" the dog was killed (died right away) after being hit.

If you mean medication & expenses after the dog being hit by a car & before it died (vet bills for example), she can try. She can't sure for normal medication the dog was taking before being hit by the car or other dog expenses - dog food, shots, etc. that had nothing to do with the dog getting out.

It "sounds like" the dog was killed (died right away) after being hit.

Yes, you are correct. He died instantly, hopefully :(

Thank you both for your help. I will pass on the information.

Sorry about the dog. I'm a dog lover. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back