Premises Liability "Dog hit car"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pleasehelpme

Two days ago my dog got hit by a car. According to the driver though, my dog hit the car. What happened was that on of my family members left the garage door of my house open, making it possible for my dog to leave the house without being watched through the doggy door that connects our backyard to our garage. My dog escaped our home and ran across the street when it saw a lady with a couple puppies. As he was running across the street, a car was driving by. Both my dog and the driver tried to stop but a connection was made(on the front left side of the car; near the left headlight). My dog ended up with a broken leg and rib, plus a leg that was severely injured and a bunch of cuts. We tried taking our dog to the vet immediately but the driver would not let us leave our home because our dog "damaged her car." We switched information and then went our separate ways. Now the driver is calling about the damage done to her car. My question is, who exactly is responsible for the damage done to the dog/car and should the driver have to pay the vet bill or do we have to pay them for damages?

Generally it is considered the dog caused the accident (someone in the car could have been hurt or killed trying to stop or swerving to avoid the dog) -- so the dog's owner. I hate that though when the dog was injured or killed - I love dogs. You might want to contact your ins. co. & see what they say.

One way or another, neither of you have to pay the other ANYTHING unless you get sued.

One can ask, the other can refuse.

If one wants it that bad, he or she will have to sue, and eventually try to collect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back