dog custody not married couple

Status
Not open for further replies.

guestpost

Hello,

I would like to have some advice about which are my possibilities about getting my dog back.
I got a dog with my ex-boyfriend back in Spain in 2009. We put all the papers under my name because I was the one that really wanted to have the dog. The only document with my ex-boyfriend name is the passport, so both can travel with her.
I left my ex-boyfriend on February after 6 years together. I felt really bad because of that and I decided to leave him everything trying to keep him as friend, because I still like him, he is a great person. I left him the (rented) apartment, the furniture, our group of friends and the dog... great mistake, because after 6 months I have realized that I can't live without my dog. It is being incredibly hard for me.
At the point of the separation I had a new job offer starting July 1st and in this place they offer me housing. Because of that, since I left my exboyfriend until July 1st I had no possibility of keeping the dog with me, I have been changing residency without any stability. But know I have my new apartment and I want my dog back.
I ask him kindly but he doesn't want to give me the dog. I offer him to keep the dog 6 months each, because I know how it feels to be without her and I don't want him to feel as I feel. It is a very special dog, at least for us.
He doesn't want to talk about that anymore, he has block my phone number so I can't contact him.
I want to fight for my dog. I want to have her. I still have all the papers under my name but they are spanish papers I don't know if I can fight here.
Do you think I have any possibility?

thanks a lot for the help and the advice

Don't think of it as custody. A dog is property, same as a toaster.

If you never legally registered/licensed the dog where you live then you won't be able to take the dog without consent.

Your best option is to try to peacefully resolve this with the ex, but he obviously does not want contact with you... be careful that you don't generate harassment complaints.

You could try to use the courts and show your Spanish papers, but the cost of doing so would be ridiculous.

Perhaps it is time to visit the shelter and save a new life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back