Animal Injury, Dog Bite Dog bite- please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

JodyM12

Hi, I live in NY and I live in an apt complex. I have a small dog- a dachshund. As we were walking inside, my neighbor, who is an older lady was walking out of her apartment. I have told her in the past he isn't friendly. He was barking at her and pulling for her. She was talking to him saying "Oh, stop that." I was pulling on his leash and I went to walk around her and he pulled and nipped her leg. I was trying to avoid her (we were in a hallway so not much room to walk around) and he must have just barely reached her leg. She didn't try to get out of the way at all. He broke the skin..it isn't an awful bite but it did break the skin- kind of like a pinch. I apologized but she was very angry. She went in her apt to look at it. I soon knocked on her door to apologize to her again. She said I need to do something with him and once a dog starts biting it won't stop. She said he broke the skin and it will leave a bruise. I'm just worried- is there anything she can do? he has all his shots

You have failed to keep your dog under control. If he is not friendly, next time you go out with him, have him wear a muzzle. If your dog is not a registered pet in the apt. complex you live at, she can denounce you to the landlord. Good Luck!

When you rent an apartment, you need to register the pet by giving the landlord the description of the pet and by paying a monthly, annual or one time fee to be allowed to have the pet in your premises.

Last edited:
I'm not excusing my dog and I should have kept him closer to me I guess...he has a 4 foot leash and I was trying to keep it close to me and go around her but she wasn't moving...she was talking to him. I told her and her husband before that he is not friendly and could possibly bite. Every time they see him they stop and talk to him like they think he will start to like them. So I don't excuse my dog or myself but its frustrating that he was barking at her and growling and I was trying to get him around her but she did not try to avoid him or move to the side...she just stood there in the middle of the hallway talking to him.

He is on the lease...the description just descibes his appearance...nothing with behavior but I have told them that in the office.. I don't allow them to come in and fix anything because I have told them I want to be there to take care of the dog. Can she have my dog put down or have me kicked out of my apartment?

Still, you have failed to keep your dog under control... She cannot do what you are suggesting. Get the muzzle to avoid future problems. Good Luck!

Last edited:
File a complaint against you at the leasing office is what she can do for now. Good Luck!

I don't know any personal injury attorney's who will take a dog bite case that minor, especially against a person who doesn't have homeowners insurance (at least that's how it is in California). Just in case you're worried about her suing you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back