Does the "girlfriend"'s income afect alimony for the father? (Montreal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bekker

I am a 23 year old university student, living in Montreal, Quebec. I have been living with my boyfriend for the past year. He is a 32 year old PhD student, who has 2 daughters, aged 6 and 7. He was never married to the mother of the children, and they are fully separated and went to court to determine alimony and custody. Custody is joint, alternating each week, and it was decided that the mother would be the one to claim all credits and refunds from the government, she would receive the money, and she was to split it 50-50 with my boyfriend. From what I have been told, she has never done this willingly and it is always a fight to get any amount of money. She also demands reimnursements for all purchases she makes, regardless if my boyfriend has told her that a certain purchase is unreasonable, and that he won't pay for half of it. Additionally, she refuses to pay us back 50% for any purchases we make.
Because I am in school full time, and I work only part time in a cafe, my income is miniscule, so most of the money that I live off of, comes from my parents. They give me a very generous "allowance" and since they have gotten to know my boyfriend and his daughters, and seen that he has really been struggling for cash, they have increased the money they give me, so that I can help with the girls, in terms of buying some clothing for them, bed sheets, etc and to help more with food purchases.
Ever since the mother has realized that I have more money in my bank account than either of them do (My boyfriend's money comes from teaching while studying (about 10-12 grand a year) and student loans. the mother works full time in a clothing store as her sole employment. (Given the extent of her expenses, she is either getting a helping hand from her family, has loans, is in debt, or has some other source of income that doesn't invlove working somewhere, and certainly did not exist when she was with my boyfriend. But that is beside the point really.) she has refused to give any money to my boyfriend. She makes up false expense lists, and when he asks for receipts, she said that she bargained with the salesperson, so she had to pay cash and couldn't get a receipt (though who bargains for a school backpack for a 6 year old and ends up paying $95 for it is beyond me). She says that because I'm in the house we have way more money than she does, and she shouldn't have to pay anything. She makes many over the top demands, and when he doesn't give in, she threatens him (for example, just today, she threatened that she would make sure that she got the girls from school tomorrow before he could, and that they would stay with her this week (even though it is our week with them).
I have encouraged my boyfriend to go back to court, but given his finances he is hesitant. At this point, I would be willing to pay the court fees if it would make life even a little bit easier for us. But for now, my question is this:
Does my financial standing, as the girlfriend of the father have any impact on the amount of money that the mother has to hand over to him?

A trip to court is needed. BAD. I see no reason why your income should make a difference. THis has nothing to do with you, its between them. Your not married (and who knows if that would even change anything) and for all anyone knows, you could be out of the picture tomorrow. SHe sounds like an unreasonable sneaky person, and he should bring as much evidence of everything your saying(receipts, log of when she has them, etc) to bury her ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back