Does my marriage have any legal value???

natacha

Jurisdiction
California
I live in USA legally, but I'm not an American citizen, have no social security, not considered a "real person" in this country. I got married to an American. Our marriage has absolutely no legal value, right? I mean, if I go and get married to other person or comeback to my country and get married to another person, it's fine, since I'm nothing in this country, correct? Thank you in advance for your answers.

I live in USA legally, but I'm not an American citizen, have no social security, not considered a "real person" in this country.

If you're in the country legally, why wouldn't you get a social security number, and what would make you think you're "no considered a 'real person' in this country"?

Our marriage has absolutely no legal value, right?

Wrong. Why would you think that?

I mean, if I go and get married to other person or comeback to my country and get married to another person, it's fine, since I'm nothing in this country, correct?

If you marry someone else in the U.S. without first divorcing your spouse, you would be guilty of the crime of bigamy. Whether doing the same thing in some other country would be bigamy under that country's laws obviously depends on what other country we're talking about. What makes you think you're "nothing in this country"?

I live in USA legally, but I'm not an American citizen, have no social security, not considered a "real person" in this country. I got married to an American. Our marriage has absolutely no legal value, right? I mean, if I go and get married to other person or comeback to my country and get married to another person, it's fine, since I'm nothing in this country, correct? Thank you in advance for your answers.

Even if you were a US citizen and married another US citizen and set off on an adventure to visit the other six continents, but you found that special person in India. You married an Sudanese citizen in India, and you both went off to Fiji.

She finds someone more desirable in Fiji, and the two elope to France.

You wander aimlessly for weeks eventually ending up in North Korea, where you meet another one and only love and marry him in NoKo.

No one cares, mate.

Sure, it might be bigamy, but very few nations take much notice of it.

So, if you can sweet talk an American citizen, or a British national, or even a Swiss national into marrying you in the US, have at it.

One morning you get the urge to wander, shuffle off to New Zealand.
The US government won't care.
The person you married might pine a couple of days, but they'll find something bigger and better, or richer to wed her or him.

Life goes on, mate.

I'm not encouraging you to marry anyone or anything.

I'm simply saying that most governments generally don't care.

If the government is THEOCRATIC, I'd advise running afoul of its theology or its laws.

Why do you think your marriage has no legal value? Your citizenship has no bearing at all on the legality of your marriage.

I live in USA legally, but I'm not an American citizen, have no social security, not considered a "real person" in this country.

Replace the USA with Great Britain, Spain, Mexico, Nigeria, Sweden, or Iran; same result, mate.

Citizens are treated special in most countries.

Think of your home.

You might have a more comfortable chair for yourself, and a less comfortable one for guests.

Mother always said, "If you don't feel welcomed, you're always free to leave."

If you're in the country legally, why wouldn't you get a social security number, and what would make you think you're "no considered a 'real person' in this country"?

Since I don't have a social security, then I'm not real in this country, there's no register of my existence here, I'm just under a type of work visa, so, it's like my "husband" had gotten married to a fictional person, once there's no way to proof that I'm a real person here. My name? My passport number? Lol. That can be any person. I'm 100% our "marriage" is not real, has no legal value, since I'm none in USA. :)

Wrong. Why would you think that?

If you marry someone else in the U.S. without first divorcing your spouse, you would be guilty of the crime of bigamy. Whether doing the same thing in some other country would be bigamy under that country's laws obviously depends on what other country we're talking about. What makes you think you're "nothing in this country"?

Why do you think your marriage has no legal value? Your citizenship has no bearing at all on the legality of your marriage.

I don't know, that's why I came over here to find out. I'm none in this country, so I just realized today, after more than 1 year of having gotten "married", that my "marriage" has no legal value since I'm not a citizen, I have no SS, so, in reality, it's like I don't exist as person in USA... So, why would my union have any legal value? I guess I'm not trapped to no marriage then, since I'm nothing in USA.

Exactly because of that. What's a name and a visa number? Nothing. Anyone can fill those marriage papers with any name and any visa number. Since they're not American citizens, their lives have no value in the USA, so, why would that "marriage" have any legal value if my existence is nothing in this country? That's what I'm wondering. That I'm deff not committed legally to my "spouse", since I'm not a real person in USA. ;)

That I'm deff not committed legally to my "spouse", since I'm not a real person in USA.

You're an adult.

You are free to travel anywhere your money and a valid passport can take you.

You don't need to legally dissolve your marriage.

You don't need to tell anyone goodbye, or hello.

The beauty of this country, compared to most, every right owed by the government to its citizens, is also owed to every person in this country, legal or illegal, on a visa, or on the sly.

The constitution is but an old yellowed document.
Yet, in fewer than 5,000 words, with only 27 amendments, it keeps a rogue government from enslaving everyone.

That said, if you doubt your marriage, leave.

Why waste your precious time, which is a finite (but unknown quantity to the user) quantity with someone you dislike.

In some countries, you'd be bound forever to a person chosen by your elders for you to wed.

In this country, you can simply walk, crawl, swim, or fly away, far, far, far away.

Since I don't have a social security, then I'm not real in this country, there's no register of my existence here, I'm just under a type of work visa, so, it's like my "husband" had gotten married to a fictional person, once there's no way to proof that I'm a real person here. My name? My passport number? Lol. That can be any person. I'm 100% our "marriage" is not real, has no legal value, since I'm none in USA.

Well...if you want to believe a bunch of nonsense, that's up to you.

You came here asking, "[d]oes my marriage have any legal value?" but now you claim to be 100% positive of the answer, and you don't appear to want to believe anyone who tells you otherwise. If that's the case, why waste your time and ours by posting here?

So you don't think a visa or passport make you a real person but a social,security number does? Huh? A social security number only matters to Social Security. That is just one agency with fairly limited purpose. It is not a general registry number and the laws of this country still apply to you whether you have one or not. If you have a work visa you have a tax ID which essentially serves the same purpose. If you wish to divorce your spouse and move onto bigger fish in the sea in another country, do so. You can't just declare your marriage invalid because a different country issues your passport.

I don't know, that's why I came over here to find out. I'm none in this country, so I just realized today, after more than 1 year of having gotten "married", that my "marriage" has no legal value since I'm not a citizen, I have no SS, so, in reality, it's like I don't exist as person in USA... So, why would my union have any legal value? I guess I'm not trapped to no marriage then, since I'm nothing in USA.

If you don't want to be with your husband divorce him and leave. You could just up and leave still married but then that screws him when he finds someone who gives a crap about him.

If you filled out a marriage license your marriage is legally valid. If you don't want to be married get a divorce. Too easy.

Back