Does anyone know about amending an income tax return........please respond....

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitty207

I am going through a legal separation and divorce. My husband and I filed a joint income tax return (we have one child), and I was expecting a refund. However, I had not heard from the IRS, so I called them. The IRS said, that I needed to get my husband on the phone and myself, conference call, and they mentioned he owed back taxes of several thousands of dollars. I was not aware of this. My husband was previously married, and had a business that did not make it. I did not know him at the time. This was all news to me. Do I have any rights to try and get my refund in this case? Can I amend the tax return? What about the previous years while married to him. He earns almost $25,000 more than me and during the five years we were together we have always paid taxes. Our child is only 2 yrs old. Please advise. Thank You, a sad kitty207 :confused: :confused:

you could do form 8379 which is an Injured form with the irs and it will separate your income from your husband. then the irs will give you any refund that you are due from your earnings only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back