do we have any thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtyw

I am going to try and get this out here I am sure i will have questions after this and I am more then happy to answer.

Again this pertains to my wife that works for one of the tobacco Co's. In her hand book it states that you must be over the age of 30 to receive 3 weeks of vacation.

Even that she has worked for the company for 5 years she is still not able to get 3 weeks off. If some one else comes in and works a year then turns 30 they get the 3 weeks.

She asked HR why ? HR replied that its because they believe that if your 30 you have family and need more time. What if you not 30 and have a family.

Revere discrimination?

d_w

A) There's no such thing as "reverse" discrimination. There is simply prohibited discrimination, period.

B) That is just about the STUPIDEST policy I've ever heard of.

Here's the deal though: while discrimination due to marital status is prohibited by some States, I'm not aware of any states (nor are there any federal laws) that prohibit discrimination based on parental status so there is nothing inherently illegal about their silly assumption that at age 30, an employee will need more vacation time due to familial demands.

Federal protections for age discrimination begin at age 40 as do the the great majority of States' age discrimination laws (for those that have then) - although a very few prohibit discrimination based on age at any age. Consequently, while this is a really dumb policy, chances are high that it's perfectly legal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back