Do I Owe This/What's my obligation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsweetiecheeks

For twenty years , my husband and his Mother ( AGAINST my wishes ) has been giving him money .Bailing him out , so to speak . I have begged her to stop it ! And I have begged him to stop it ! They do not consider me at all ! No checks have ever included my name , they have all been made out to my husband . Here's the question : If he should die ( his health is now shakey ) or we should divorce ( which we have talked about alot lately ) do I owe her ( my Mother-in-law ) money ?Or does he ( from his half ) owe her money ? Everyone that knows us , also know that I NEVER wanted , benifitted , or asked for her money !! She just jumps in and sends him money ! He tells me if and when we divorce , she gets hers first . I have "NEVER" had anything to say about our finances .PLEASE HELP ! Where do I stand ?
Thank-You !:(

Last edited:
For twenty years , my husband and his Mother ( AGAINST my wishes ) has been giving him money .Bailing him out , so to speak . I have begged her to stop it ! And I have begged him to stop it ! They do not consider me at all ! No checks have ever included my name , they have all been made out to my husband . Here's the question : If he should die ( his health is now shakey ) or we should divorce ( which we have talked about alot lately ) do I owe her ( my Mother-in-law ) money ?Or does he ( from his half ) owe her money ? Everyone that knows us , also know that I NEVER wanted , benifitted , or asked for her money !! She just jumps in and sends him money ! He tells me if and when we divorce , she gets hers first . I have "NEVER" had anything to say about our finances .PLEASE HELP ! Where do I stand ?
Thank-You !:(

I also "KNOW" for a fact , she would give him , back the money , and I would be left with "NOTHING" @ 55 years old .

Your very unclear on this. You say Mom is "giving" money to your husband. Thats not a loan and therefore not repayable. If it was indeed a loan then you as his wife could be held accountable for your mutal debts regardless of whoses name is on checks

I doubt that she would be able to force you to pay her back even half. If she is giving him money with no intention of being repaid within a year, the Statues of Fraud might apply which requires the agreement to be in writing if over $500. A Husband can certainly acquire debt that the wife would be responsible for, but in this case, it sure appears to be a gift. You should see an attorney to see if you can send her notice that you will not be responsible for any future debt, or to see if a seperation notice can stop you from being liable for any future debt. After 20 years, though, it might be presummed that you have accepted his behaviour and condone it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back