Do i need to provide two weeks notice to quit my job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jankly

I looked at my company handbook. It is not that big and I don't see anything about me having to give my boss 2 weeks notice if i want to leave the company. I might have another job lined up and I don't want to quit and have to be there for 2 weeks and still work there. it would make me ill because of my bad experience there. I would like to tell my boss in the morning i am leaving at the end of the day next friday and not be back on monday. I think that if i quit they might not even want me to show up for work as that is what happened with the last person who quit. I dont have any work contract with them. I just was interviewed and got the job and started at what they told me a few year ago. Thanks.

There is no law requiring that you give two weeks notice, one weeks notice, or any kind of notice at all. You are free to say, Sorry, boss, but today was my last day as you are walking out the door. Just as he is free to say to you, BTW, don't come back tomorrow, as you are walking out the door.

It's generally just common courtesy to give 2 weeks notice but there is no law that says you have to. In some cases, it may not even be possible.

Don't burn your bridges with your former employer. Always leave with a smile, thanking them for the wonderful opportunity you have had while you were with them, and wishing them success in their endeavours.
Even if you don't really mean it.

If your new employer detects any sign of negativity towards your former employer, that would not be a good thing. Especially if they find out you quit giving a 1-day notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back