Do I have a PI case? If so, why. If not, why?

DrCarl

Jurisdiction
Washington
WASHINGTON STATE

Do I have a PI case?
If so, why. If not, why?

Sorry if those seem like "odd" questions. I asked the same thing in another forum and received a comment that asking "why or why not" is odd. I don't get it. Sorry - digressed.

DETAILS
Parking lot stripes freshly painted (three weeks prior).
While I completed accident report, employee talked about slipperiness and said another employee was remarking about slipping, or had slipped.
She spoke of "first rain of the season" that most people know can be a danger.
The slippery area was not sanded, salted, or otherwise treated to make it not so slippery (I like baking soda for decks at home).
There were no warning signs.
I was not in a hurry or horsing around, just walking to the entrance from my car.
My partner there to witness.

Here is a photo taken three weeks later. The stripes are about 4' wide.
adrcarl.smugmug.com_Other_Slip_and_fall_i_GLgxBDX_0_XL_IMG_7165_XL.jpg

Thanks in advance.

DrCarl

WASHINGTON STATE

Do I have a PI case?
If so, why. If not, why?

Sorry if those seem like "odd" questions. I asked the same thing in another forum and received a comment that asking "why or why not" is odd. I don't get it. Sorry - digressed.

DETAILS
Parking lot stripes freshly painted (three weeks prior).
While I completed accident report, employee talked about slipperiness and said another employee was remarking about slipping, or had slipped.
She spoke of "first rain of the season" that most people know can be a danger.
The slippery area was not sanded, salted, or otherwise treated to make it not so slippery (I like baking soda for decks at home).
There were no warning signs.
I was not in a hurry or horsing around, just walking to the entrance from my car.
My partner there to witness.

Here is a photo taken three weeks later. The stripes are about 4' wide.
adrcarl.smugmug.com_Other_Slip_and_fall_i_GLgxBDX_0_XL_IMG_7165_XL.jpg

Thanks in advance.

DrCarl

First of all, I consider no question to be odd, or unusual.
So, we are all best served to seek second and third opinions.

If you were injured by slipping in the parking lot, that doesn't mean the owner of the lot is liable for your injuries, medical bills, loss of work. You'll have to prove far more than recent paint, rain, etc...

The other issue is the mythical reasonable person is presumed to know that people can slip on wet surfaces during falling rain.

You shouldn't rely on Internet pundits to decide if you have a case, or not.

Your best bet is to discuss the matter with three or four personal injury lawyers. The initial consultation is normally offered free of charge. It dies, however, allow you to ask some questions and receive information as to how courts, insurers, and property owners address such matters in your jurisdiction.

Why would anyone salt or sand an area unless it was icy or snowy??

What are you blaming this on? The pavement markings??

Back