Do i have a claim to grandparents house/estate *in KY

KyGuy

Jurisdiction
Kentucky
My paternal grandfather passed in July of 2000. At the time of my grandfathers death, he was re-married to another woman who already had two sons from her previous marriage. To my knowledge, my grandfather never legally adopted her kids when they got married. My father passed in 1990 leaving my sister and i as the only two descendants on his side of the family.

My father was told numerous times by my grandfather and step grandmother that he had a will made out and that everything would be divided up equally between my father and her two sons. When my grandfather passed in 2000, my sister and i received nothing from his estate. Her sons took most of my grandfathers personal property and life insurance money. I was under the impression that KY law doesn't allow for step children to inherit anything unless they were legally adopted or it is willed to them by the deceased. I also can't find any online record of my grandfathers will having been filed with the court, although i have already requested a copy from the County Clerk's office to be sure.

As of 2 days ago, i saw in the obituaries that my step grandmother had passed mid December of 2015. The house they lived in was purchased right after they got married and still has both of their names listed on the title, so i'm assuming it was some form of joint tenancy. I have requested a copy of the deed from the County Clerk to find out.

With the last survivor of the property passing away, would the house automatically go into probate to determine who inherits it or can she just will it to her sons?

I would just like to find out if my sister and i may be entitled to any of their estate or what other steps we should take, besides the obvious of contacting a local attorney. Thanks

Back