Divorcing Wife Applying for Citizenship

Mochi

Jurisdiction
Virginia
Hi.

My wife and I were both green card holders. Though now, I have my citizenship now but she does not. If we apply for divorce, could she still apply for citizenship? We both got here based off her asylum story. Would this be a problem?

Also her name is not on anything (cars, ect..)what is she entitled to? Everything is in my name. Am I going to get screwed over? What part of my money is she entitled to? We have separate bank account. What is initiating divorce like? Can we initiate it while or before she applies for citizenship?

As I told you in the other forum, the divorce is not going to affect her citizenship application at this point (there would have to be some fraudulent intent on representing the marriage). She can expect to be asked about it during the interview to verify that things are on the up and up. It really doesn't matter when she applies for divorce.

As far as the property division in the divorce, understand that things acquired during marriage are almost certainly to be considered marital property regardless of whose name is on them or what accounts they are deposited in. You're not being screwed, all marital property is required to be equitably distributed. You should each have an attorney. There's often some dealing going on on the split with regard to assets not easily divided (houses, cars) and it may make sense to trade off one asset for another.

My wife and I were both green card holders. Though now, I have my citizenship now but she does not. If we apply for divorce, could she still apply for citizenship?

Of course she can.

Would this be a problem?

I'm not sure what "this" refers to, but nothing in your post suggests that you and your wife divorcing would have any relevance to a citizenship application she might make.

Also her name is not on anything (cars, ect..)what is she entitled to?

The court will divide your marital property in a manner that it determines to be equitable based on several factors.

Am I going to get screwed over?

Do you really think this is a question that anonymous strangers who have zero information about your situation will have any ability to answer?

What is initiating divorce like?

I have no idea what this question means.

Can we initiate it while or before she applies for citizenship?

You or she can file for divorce any time you like. Be aware, however, that Virginia has some relatively archaic laws when it comes to grounds for divorce, so I suggest you consult with a local family law attorney.

My wife and I were both green card holders.

Okay, but why state the following?

I have my citizenship now but she does not.

If you are a citizen of the USA, why do you still possess a Green Card?
No need to answer, because I know why.

If we apply for divorce, could she still apply for citizenship?

If you are divorcing, what she does will no longer be your concern.

We both got here based off her asylum story. Would this be a problem?

:D I knew that was coming, from one side or the other.

I also know that you already know the answer to the question.

So, I'm going to place my tongue next to my cheek and giggle like a little baby!

Am I going to get screwed over?

I sure hope so, and I bet she does, too!!!!

Okay, but why state the following?

If you are a citizen of the USA, why do you still possess a Green Card?
No need to answer, because I know why.
Take another look at the OP - The OP stated that they *were* both GC holders, but he is now a citizen. He doesn't state that the still has a GC.

Take another look at the OP - The OP stated that they *were* both GC holders, but he is now a citizen. He doesn't state that the still has a GC.

You take a look, if that is what you wish to do.

As Rhett said to Scarlett:

I did take another look at it just to make sure :)

I really wasn't trying to argue with you about your post...I just wanted to clarify that one point.

Back