Divorcing my bum

calliope

Married five years ago. Husband has worked two years, not consecutive. He has a graduate degree, but would rather play golf and smoke cigars. He and his family seem to believe that I will continue to support him. He is planning to move to Florida and believes I will follow in a few months. I won't. This is the only way to get him out. His family has given him enough to move but he is supposed to get a job. He has nothing,no retirement, nothing. It is my home. He brought nothing into marriage. This is the worst mistake I've ever made. What is this going to cost me? He wants half. He contributed nothing. Also he said he could get spousal support. Right now I'm acting like all is well and we'll be fine. By the way, he loves Florida.

Married five years ago. Husband has worked two years, not consecutive. He has a graduate degree, but would rather play golf and smoke cigars. He and his family seem to believe that I will continue to support him. He is planning to move to Florida and believes I will follow in a few months. I won't. This is the only way to get him out. His family has given him enough to move but he is supposed to get a job. He has nothing,no retirement, nothing. It is my home. He brought nothing into marriage. This is the worst mistake I've ever made. What is this going to cost me? He wants half. He contributed nothing. Also he said he could get spousal support. Right now I'm acting like all is well and we'll be fine. By the way, he loves Florida.

I suggest you start discussing your dilemma with three or four divorce attorneys in your county on Monday.
The last thing you want to do is let the snake slither down to Florida without being served divorce papers.
He gets to Florida, you'll have a harder time getting the divorce.
The divorce will cost YOU more money.

the GOOD thing about him slithering away before you have him served, is your lawyer can argue HE abandoned you and the marital home.

Again, you should discuss all of this with several MD licensed divorce attorneys.
That way you'll learn what works best for you, and what will provide YOU the quickest pathway to FREEDOM.

The bad news is that you very well may be on the hook for spousal support. If you fully supported him during the marriage, you will likely owe support for at least some period of time after. Maryland is not a community property state so he does not automatically get half of everything. His moving to Florida doesn't hurt exactly, as the "easiest" way to divorce in MD is to live apart for a year. You don't mention anything which would serve as grounds to obtain a divorce sooner than that. MD is one of the states with the most arduous process.

http://www.divorcenet.com/resources/divorce/marital-property-division/maryland-divorce-dividing-prop
http://www.divorcenet.com/resources...ort/understanding-and-calculating-alimony-m-2

Back