Divorcing and new car payments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynne

We have been married for 5 years. My husband told me 2 nites ago that he is going to file for divorce. He told me the things I am entitled tol get, but 1 in particular is about my new car of 5 months. He said that if I want the car I have to pay the remaining balance on the note, which is approx 14K.

I asked him why he bought me a new car if he was planning on a divorce and knows I couldn't afford one. Also since my credit isn't so good he put the car in his name and told me not to worry about it if something happened to him it would go to me anyway.

But now, like I explained above, is it my responsibility to pay for a car that I could not afford if he knew he wanted to divorce me? I do need to have a car so that's just not an option but I would like to know.

Before we married he told me I do not have to work and he did take care of everything but I need to leave with the car, any advice?

Don't take his word for what you are entitled to our you will come up short.
Speak with an attorney as soon as possible to protect yourself.

We have been married for 5 years. My husband told me 2 nites ago that he is going to file for divorce. He told me the things I am entitled tol get, but 1 in particular is about my new car of 5 months. He said that if I want the car I have to pay the remaining balance on the note, which is approx 14K.

I asked him why he bought me a new car if he was planning on a divorce and knows I couldn't afford one. Also since my credit isn't so good he put the car in his name and told me not to worry about it if something happened to him it would go to me anyway.

But now, like I explained above, is it my responsibility to pay for a car that I could not afford if he knew he wanted to divorce me? I do need to have a car so that's just not an option but I would like to know.

Before we married he told me I do not have to work and he did take care of everything but I need to leave with the car, any advice?

I suggest you discuss all of your marital issues with a couple divorce attorneys in Clark County, or wherever you reside.
There are options that won't cost you a dime, in many instances. If things are right, he'll have to pay.
Don't waste time asking why or how, if it's possible, the lawyers will explain how and why.
In the meantime, the initial consultation is free.
Make an appointment and go visit two, three, or four. You just might be surprised.

Yes your right, that is what I will do, just needed a bit of reassurance to take the pressure/stress level down a notch. Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back