Divorce in North Carolina

M

Millerd

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
I live in North Carolina and have been married for 11 years. I have properties that were acquired during the time of marriage but solely in my name (one was given to me). If I leave is my spouse entitled to half?

I live in North Carolina and have been married for 11 years. I have properties that were acquired during the time of marriage but solely in my name (one was given to me). If I leave is my spouse entitled to half?

In your state the answer is maybe.
If you want to know the specifics, you need to immediately hire an attorney to achieve the divorce leaving you as economically advantaged as you can be under your state's divorce laws.

The presumption is that your spouse has a marital interest in those properties and is likely entitled to be compensated for half the equity that has accrued during the marriage.

There are ways to avoid that but it might be too late for you.

The following articles explain how separate property works.

Divorce Support - What is Considered Separate Property?

What is Separate Property?

If, after reading those articles, you still cannot understand why your spouse may be entitled to compensation, then hire yourself a lawyer ASAP.

Back