divorce and credit card mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

jandr

Hi -
A while back, I had excellent credit. In fact, my FICO score was close to 800. But then in 2006, my husband suddenly left me - he left me to go live with another woman. This happened suddenly - our marriage of ten years collapsed within a span of two weeks.

Within the two weeks, he filed for divorce (at the advice of his new girlfriend who has money and who paid for his legal fees). Because of this sudden event, I had to take out a loan, which was given to me without a problem, to pay for my legal fees. Even though at the time I had savings, I had to deplete them to continue to pay for the credit card debts that my ex husband left behind, plus my expensive rent (I live in Manhattan).

Thankfully, I was still able to afford to make minimum payments on the credit cards, and wait until the court decides how much of it my ex husband needs to pay. But that was back between 2006-2007. My ex agreed to pay for half of it, but when he found out how much was half, (15K) he tried to withdraw the divorce so that he wouldn't have to pay. Well needless to say, he still hasn't paid one dime, nor does he want to settle. He's been avoiding me like the plague.

While this is going on, all of these credit cards decided to cut my credit lines to just a little bit above what I owe, even though I've been making the mimimum monthly payments. This act caused the situation to look like I've overspent or maxed out on my credit cards, which clearly i did not do. In fact, I have not used these cards since my husband left me back in 2006. But the point is that all of these credit cards (despite the fact that I quickly closed a good portion of them) have mimumum payments of up to 250 dollars a month. I tried to negotiate with the banks but they don't seem to lower that monthly fee unless they "revoke" the account, or take some other harsh action.

So Im wondering what to do. My ex husband gets to live in luxury (he just bought himself a car with the help of his new girlfriend, and he lives in a 600K home) while I'm here stuck paying for his share of the debt. I don't even have 200 dollars in my checkings account as we speak.

I have court this Wednesday to continue this fight. Last time there was an issue with the way he was served. The time before that there was an issue with the fact he didn't show up. And the time before that, I had to dismiss my lawyer simply because I just can't afford to pay out 350 an hour. So now I'm pro se.

Is there any way that I can get the judge to get my ex to hurry up and pay for this mess, before I get more ruined than what I already am?? I need help, I just can't pay this anymore or live on 1 dollar burritos for dinner. :mad:

i'm in the same situation

I married a deadbeat, and now I'm stuck with the bills.

There is one way out: file for bankruptcy.

Your credit is going to take a serious hit from this mess no matter what, but a bankruptcy will allow you to either have the debts discharged completely or to go into a payment plan with affordable monthly payments. It's not a pleasant process, but take it from me: it's way better than living on rice and beans and taking calls from debt collectors every five minutes.

By all means continue your fight in court. See if you can get an order for your Ex to pay your legal bills so you can be fairly represented.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back