Distribution of estate to heirs

Daniels1050

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
I am in the process of trying to sale the property of 8 heirs and divide the proceeds equally, however, only 7 of the heirs can be located. How do I proceed?

There are MANY websites that discuss "how to locate a missing heir in NC", or "what NC laws says must be done to locate a missing heir".

Here are a few examples of the hundreds of websites that offer guidance on your topic.
The listing of these websites is not an endorsement of these sites by myself or this legal discussion website.

I am supplying these listings to illustrate how s Google search can aid you when you have a question.

If you don't understand what must be done after reading what these sites suggest, it would be prudent to hire a NC licensed attorney to assist or direct you.

North Carolina Department of State Treasurer

Locating Heirs, Owners of Unclaimed Property, Beneficiaries and Missing Persons - Lineages

What if an Heir to a Will Cannot Be Found?

On the Civil Side | Where Oh Where Could My Lost Will Be?

What is an Heir Search Firm?

https://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2049&context=dlj

I am in the process of trying to sale the property of 8 heirs

I doubt you're really seeking to sell property of the heirs. I assume you meant to say that you're an executor or administrator of a decedent's estate and that you're in the process of trying to sell the property of the decedent (i.e., estate property). Right?

only 7 of the heirs can be located.

That's obviously nonsense. Anyone can be located with enough effort. I assume all this really means is that you don't have contact information for one of the heirs and that whatever efforts you have made to date to locate the heir have been unsuccessful. Correct?

How do I proceed?

That depends in large part on what information you have about this person and what efforts (if any) you have made to try and locate him/her. After making reasonable efforts to locate the missing heir, you should be able to petition the court to deposit the missing heir's share of the estate with the state. Specifics obviously matter, and you should consult with a local probate attorney.

I doubt you're really seeking to sell property of the heirs. I assume you meant to say that you're an executor or administrator of a decedent's estate and that you're in the process of trying to sell the property of the decedent (i.e., estate property). Right?

That's obviously nonsense. Anyone can be located with enough effort. I assume all this really means is that you don't have contact information for one of the heirs and that whatever efforts you have made to date to locate the heir have been unsuccessful. Correct?

That depends in large part on what information you have about this person and what efforts (if any) you have made to try and locate him/her. After making reasonable efforts to locate the missing heir, you should be able to petition the court to deposit the missing heir's share of the estate with the state. Specifics obviously matter, and you should consult with a local probate attorney.

All your assumptions are correct. Your 3rd paragraph was the information I was looking for. Thanks

Back