Harassment, Stalking, Misconduct Disorderly Conduct

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfight

My subsequent other half was arrested in NY for throwing a small amount of water from a bottle over people gathered for an organized water fight! It was even the front page of TimeOut NY the week before the event.

Long story short she was arrested by an officer for disorderly conduct and given a court date. One of his reasons being she was trying to wet him which only an idiot would do and obviously that was not her intention. After the arrest we found out the water fight was cancelled due to lack of permits but we had no idea. You can google 'union square water fight' and see a few posts about the arrest. (sorry unable to post websites as I am new to site)

We are Australian professionals working in NY and do not want this affecting our residency status. With that in mind I have a couple of questions;
1) There has been a court date set. Should we get a lawyer to go along with us? Is there a need? People I work with tend to think not.
2) Is it worth printing all the stories from the web, TimeOut cover, blogs, photos etc to take with us.

We have read what the disorderly conduct law states and intend to go along and obviously plead not guilty.

The whole situation was ridiculous but we have to go through the process now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated if for no other reason but to put our minds at rest.

If it isn't an economic impossibility, you should retain a lawyer. A lawyer likely has a far greater chance of having your charge dropped down to a civil infraction or tossed out.

I know the situation is ludicrous, but if you somehow angered the cop a great deal, he may put pressure on the prosecutor to go on with this sham of justice.

When you see your lawyer, or go for an initial consultation, bring the stories you have. Be sure to have URLs from the sites on the web.

My hunch is most decent defense attorneys will be more than happy to represent you in this ridiculous case. It doesn't belong wasting the court's time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back