disinherited

Status
Not open for further replies.

gltimme

I am desperate for some help. My father passed away in march of 2005. It was a VERY tough time, as I was very close to my father, and not very close to my mother. We got along, but a lot of times we would 'butt heads'. I helped her settle the accounts, life insurance, funeral arrangements, etc. I live 80 miles away, and eventually could not visit every day, I had to limit my visits to the weekends, which I did. In November of 2005, my mother began to favor the neighbor. At first I was very grateful that there was someone closer, than I was, to make sure things were ok. Basically to make a long story short, this neighbor started influencing my mother. My mother cashed in all the CD's, my mother replace my children ( her grandchildren's ) photos with photos of the neighbor's kids. I was also greeted with the neighbor's 'drop in' visits, even when I was visiting, and she would bring her children with, who would call my mother 'grandma'. To make a long story short, my mother and I had an argument on Christmas 2005. I voiced my concerns of the influence of the neighbor, and my mother brushed it off, and told me that I was too far away. My mother and I did not speak for the month of jan. and Feb 3rd she actually wrote up a will, disinheriting me and my children, and giving EVERYTHING to the neighbor.
The formal probate is coming up on Feb 13th, 2007, I cannot afford a lawyer, but feel that I have a case. the only problem is, I cannot find out what forms I must file, to LEGALLY contest this will. Does anyone have ANY help for me?????

Will contests are extremely hard to win.

You must have a lawyer.

Contact your state bar association and ask about cheap or free lawyers.

Also, shop around for young, hungry lawyers right around the courthouse where the probate estate is going on.

What you need to do is to go down to the probate court and get a copy of everything that has been filed. The person named as the personal representative has a lot of power. If the will named the neighbor you need to file to be named the PR. Talk to the clerk handling the file. She cannot give you legal advice but can point you in the right direction and may have a booklet explaining the probate process.

After that you need to talk to an attorney.

I have tired all of this....I really don't have anything to loose, which is why I want to represent myself. I just don't know how to start it. I did visit the probate office, and was just basically given a book of forms, and told to find it myself. Am I asking that they don't appoint 'her' as the personal representative....basically I want to ask for my time to speak.

How do I do this legally?????

We cannot run your lawsuit for you. If you cannot run your own lawsuit, then you have to hire a lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back