Discrimination?

KFarrar

Jurisdiction
New York
I was recently terminated for raising my voice to an employee. There was no vulgar language, no threats of harm, just a simple statement "this is what it's like to be screamed at". That employee had consistently said that I was mean to him, and screamed at him all the time, which did not happen. He also had harassed another employee so much, that employee quit. I was watching him closely, but could never catch him in the act, and could only go by what the first employee told me. The one being harassed was a very calm honest person, with no reason to lie.
I'm a passionate person, and was with the company over 6 years as an assistant manager, so part of my job was to make sure everyone was doing their jobs, and do conversation notes and write-ups when wrongs were being done.
In the time I was there, I had no disciplinary actions of any kind, nor any write-ups. There are other assistants and managers at the company which I witnessed on numerous occasions threatening other employees, belittling them, and using all sorts of vulgar language against them.
About a month before I was let go, I was up for a manager position, and was turned down because the district manager said I could be too gruff.
So how is it others had done far worse than what I had done, yet they still have their jobs, and I was let go for something far less.
Would this be discrimination against my predisposition as a person?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "predisposition as a person" but it is not a protected class as far as discrimination. It may seem unfair, but I don't see anything illegal.

No, it happened because you were an "at will" employee.

As an "at will" employee the employer need not give you a reason why you were terminated, and could terminate you simply because you were too fat, too ugly, you had poor hygiene, you were stupid, you had blue eyes, or because the employer had to reduce staff.

Likewise, had your Aunt Matilda died and left you a $20,000,000 inheritance you could have quit without explanation or without saying goodbye.

So how is it others had done far worse than what I had done, yet they still have their jobs, and I was let go for something far less.

This question is full of opinions, but it is obviously a question only your employer can answer.

Not quite sure what you're asking here, but this was not illegal discrimination unless it was done because of your race, ethnicity, gender, religion, etc.

Back