Discrimination case for not being gay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jankly

I work I work in the apparel industry. sometimes I work in the garment district in New York. Seems like almost half the company is gay and homosexual people run the executive level. I have many years of experience. I was passed over for a promotion by my boss. the person who ended up getting the job I should have been given is also gay. I wonder if this person is having an affair with someone in the company. I am afraid to complain about it and i don't know if this is sexual discrimination because being straight is not a minority. What can I do?

I work I work in the apparel industry. sometimes I work in the garment district in New York. Seems like almost half the company is gay and homosexual people run the executive level. I have many years of experience. I was passed over for a promotion by my boss. the person who ended up getting the job I should have been given is also gay. I wonder if this person is having an affair with someone in the company. I am afraid to complain about it and i don't know if this is sexual discrimination because being straight is not a minority. What can I do?

Discrimination is a very difficult thing to prove.

Those who do discriminate are very clever, therefore, it make sit harder to prove.

Plus, you must have damages, more than bruised ego.

You must also be in a protected class.

If you're unhappy, look for a place that appreciates your unique talents.

Last edited:
In any state where it is illegal to discriminate against someone for being gay, it is also illegal to discriminate against someone for being straight.

However, just because it is your opinion that you should have gotten the promotion does not mean it is also management's opinion. What EVIDENCE do you have that, but for being straight, you would definitely have gotten the promotion?

Thank you for your help. I am very grateful for your time.

What does a protected class mean? I don't know if this means I have rights or i don't.

I am probably very upset about being passed over for a promotion from somebody who is very junior to me. Work experience is like a joke to compare. I don't have proof other than nobody who has any intelligence can't figure out why you'd promote this young inexperienced swinger for any other reason. Comes into work and talks about some of his night before parties and not knowing where he will be the next morning. Comes into work sometimes not ready for work. But what really bothers me is that I hear some of them talk about discrimination and cases and what they get and it feels like I have no rights and that only these people get protection from favoritism like this that is definitely because of which way he swings. You are probably right. I will have to look and i have an idea about next places. Thank you for your time.

re protected class (everyone is in some protected classes) - they are such things as age (generally over 40), religion, gender, race, national origin .......

However, you have to have proof that you were discriminated against JUST due to a protected class.

re protected class (everyone is in some protected classes) - they are such things as age (generally over 40), religion, gender, race, national origin .......

However, you have to have proof that you were discriminated against JUST due to a protected class.

Yes, yes, yes, plus the standard of PROOF is much higher than it used to be during the last quarter of the previous century.

In today's climate, PROVING discrimination is extremely difficult, if not IMPOSSIBLE.

I can't edit my post any more & probably not a big deal in this case but I just noticed I should have said generally age 40 AND over & not over age 40. (I said generally since there are some states where age discrimination protection begins before age 40.)

Often, the people who get promoted are those who get along with their superiors and don't pose a risk to them: the last thing an insecure superior wants is someone who is going to question their decision or authority.
Maybe your competence was a threat to your superior in some way?

@Betty - I'll see if I can extend post editing by group.

@Jankly - just to explain what a "protected class" is if it isn't obvious. This is a group of people who share a similar trait or characteristic that the law recognizes may need greater protection than the normal. There could be a history of many instances of discrimination (for example, black persons in the old South.) The Civil Rights Act of 1964 specifically outlawed discrimination against several "classes" of people. Here's a list from New York City below.

From the NYC Commission on Human Rights

The NYC Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination in employment, housing and public accommodations based on numerous protected classes. These protected classes are:
  • Race
  • Color
  • Creed
  • Alienage
  • Citizenship Status
  • Gender (including Gender Identity and Sexual Harassment)
  • Sexual Orientation
  • Disability
  • Marital Status
  • Partnership Status

Ok, thanks. I think the time limit to edit had expired. I could edit but within a certain period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back