Discrimination Against My Name from Apple ??

Shelly Hebert

Jurisdiction
Louisiana
I'm not sure if I'm entering this in the correct area of the website, or if this would actually be considered "Discrimination" in a legal term. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask and if it is, then maybe pursue after it.

I've had an account with Apple Support Communities on Apple.com, with occasionally visiting and participating with various issues with my Apple devices, looking for help and at times helping others with their problems with their devices.

When I first signed up I chose a Username that I commonly used at the time. But as time went on, I decided I'd like to have a more formal, mature Username. I posted in the Community forums, asking how I can change it since there were no option to do so. I was informed my request was sent to the Help Desk (if I remember correctly), and they will contact me shortly about changing my Username. Apple did contact me as noted via email, asking me to reply back with three usernames of my choice. Because wanting to have my own first name as my username, or some variation of it: I chose "ShellyH" or "Shelly73" or "ShellyH73." A couple weeks had gone by and they finally responded back saying they cannot change my username to that because my name contains 'Hell' in it and their filter system will not allow it. But this is my name! I can completely understand banning Hell if that is their choosing, but my given birth name is forbidden all because its in its spelling. That's ridiculous!

Do they have the right to do that?

Thanks, in advance!

Yes, they have the right to do that. It's their site and they can decide what is and is not appropriate.

Do I think their response is a little over the top? Sure. Can they legally do it? You betcha they can.

Yes, they have the right to do that. It's their site and they can decide what is and is not appropriate.

Do I think their response is a little over the top? Sure. Can they legally do it? You betcha they can.
I don't think it's Apple being puritanical. Remember Mary M at the other site? Her name would be **** * because of the filter. OP's name would appear (on Apples filter) as S****y73.

What I find over the top is Shelly's reaction to Apples inability to use her name due to the filter.

Some years ago, while lawyers.com still had the forums, the name Thomas wouldn't pass the filter. Tax Counsel will remember we had a lively ongoing discussion about that silliness.

I won't keep you in suspense. A bit of research back then revealed that Thomas was slang for penis, originating in D. H. Lawrence's novel "Lady Chatterley's Lover" when her lover referred to his penis as "John Thomas."

Never could figure out why that site flagged "Thomas" as a no no but I had a lot of fun with it.

All Shelly has to do is remove an L from her name. She would still be Shely and get past the filter.

Back