Discriminated at work based on my gender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phez

I am a 43 year old Hispanic gay male. Not sure if race or sexual orientation is a factor to throw in, but I'm not sure what the legal process entails. I work on the platform of a bank branch. The branch I work at is full of women, a couple male tellers, with an all-female platform (except me), and female managers. All of the platform and management go against me every chance they get. When the women call in sick, come in late, or mess up in general, they don't even get a slap on the wrist. When I call in sick or mess up in anything that they are known to mess up, I get punished or scrutinized. This has been going on since when I started in April 2014. (The managers have little to no contact with the male tellers, so I cannot divulge in how they are treated). I sell the most in store points, I'm a super star in sales, etc, so no, this 'discrimination' isn't due to my poor performance. I'm always optimistic, I'm super nice to all of my coworkers, & I do enjoy what I do, but this blantantly obvious discrimination has me kind of PO'ed.

I've spoken to my boss in regards to how I feel about "equal treatment among all employees", and my concerns were ignored. And for the record, I have secured another better job at another competing bank company, but I am afraid I am carrying to my future job emotional scarring of all the unnecessary bullying.

As for evidence: there are little tidbits. Me and coworkers have heard the manager saying semi-misandrist things at the store meetings. I.E. "It's great to see just women on the platform", which upon seeing my appalled reaction at her comment, she later apologized to me for saying it. I.E. #2: Where there's physical/laborious tasks like lifting heavy items, coin boxes, etc, the whole bank crew 90% of the time assumes that I should do it because they see me as "man of the house".

I know there are people on here that will say "butch up" or something. I've been through a lot of stuff in my previous jobs, but I've never had to deal with something so unfair and aggravating. Usually gender discrimination happens with women, but not in this case. I'm trying to figure out if I have grounds for a case, because I'm not sure what HR will do about it.

Are you the mother of a family? Do you suffer from Menstruation or Menopause? Are you less skilled than the Super Star in Sales? You have not indicated the other males get treated like you say the woman do, so therefore nothing you have claimed is happening is related to your being gay. Apparently your male coworkers do not feel this same discrimination.

I know there are people on here that will say "butch up" or something. I've been through a lot of stuff in my previous jobs, but I've never had to deal with something so unfair and aggravating. Usually gender discrimination happens with women, but not in this case. I'm trying to figure out if I have grounds for a case, because I'm not sure what HR will do about it.

No one knows your sexual orientation, unless you reveal it.
In all my years, I've never asked anyone what their sexual orientation is, or isn't.
I have no interest in discussing sex with strangers, coworkers, or anyone.

If you desire to know what your HR department will, or will not do insofar as any complaint you might make, ask them.
Seek, and Ye shall find.

If you're unsatisfied in your current position, do something about it.
Whatever that something is can't be done on an unrelated legal website.

I see no legal issues that would rise to anything more than agitation,k aggravation, or frustration that we all face in our daily lives.
That said, what the heck do I know about your working conditions? Nothing, nada, zilch, squat, zero aout sums it up.

If you believe HR will do nothing, escalate the matter up the food chain.
Otherwise, file a complaint with the labor authorities in your state, hire a lawyer to initiate a lawsuit (for whatever you THINK it is that is harming you), or take that great new job you have waiting in your back pocket.

Whatever you decide is of no moment, matter, consequence, or import to this dummy who remains clueless.

I don't see that any adverse action has been taken against you. Your resolution is with your managers and HR, not with the courts. A lawsuit will get you nowhere at this point. It will only make you broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back