Discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

fito

I am scheduled to go to small claims court on March 11th.
Is there a time limit on sending a motion for discovery. In other words, can I still ask for information from the other litigant ?

Originally posted by fito
I am scheduled to go to small claims court on March 11th.
Is there a time limit on sending a motion for discovery. In other words, can I still ask for information from the other litigant ?
The date has passed so I guess the question is moot. There are rules for discovery and it depends upon the court. You could always ask for an adjournment and this is done before the case goes to court.

Have you recieved a demand letter or any documents telling you what this is about?

If not I would send a certified letter to the other party requesting in detail (not hand written either) all the reasons you are being sued. AND who what when where & why.

Then request a face to face meeting to discuss the issues. You should carfully dwell over those issues then respond to each in writing After the meeting. Send it certified mail!

Even if the other guy has an air tight case against you The judge will most likley drop or reduce damages agaist you BECAUSE you made a great effort to stay out of his court.

Judges like to see mediation NOT litagation. If the other guy flat out refuses to meet, document this, DA Judge ain't gona like that!!!!!!!!!!!

I think he is asking for information about making a motion for discovery. I think TheLawProfessor's advice is right and requesting an adjournment is a good way to go. If you don't feel you have enough information, then delay it. You may need to send notices to the defendant and file with the court for a new court date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back