development services deparment courtesy notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

acemaster214

I found a letter hung on my door from the city of kissimmee development services department that reads like this: This office received a complaint regarding this property. Please contact this office so an inspection can be done. Is the city of kissimmee allowed to come inside and inspect without my authorization or do they need some type of search warrant if I refuse or ignore the letter. Thanks.

acemaster214 said:
I found a letter hung on my door from the city of kissimmee development services department that reads like this: This office received a complaint regarding this property. Please contact this office so an inspection can be done. Is the city of kissimmee allowed to come inside and inspect without my authorization or do they need some type of search warrant if I refuse or ignore the letter. Thanks.

The constitution, via the fourth amendment and hundreds of legal decisions and precedents, prevent unlawful, warrantless searches.

You do not have to allow the inspection inside your home.

You don't even have to respond to the notice. It isn't a court order or summons.

If you call their bluff, they'll do one of three things. They'll leave another notice. They'll seek admission via court process. Or, they'll slither away, seeking another victim to annoy.

acemaster214 said:
What do you mean by seeking admission via court process...that they eventually can?

No, that means they could try.

Could they prevail?

I don't have enough information to say.

I don't know what their rationale or reason for the complaint is.

Do you have any suspicions or ideas?

Well i made a small room in my garage but, that was six months ago. I notice at one time the person in the room parked on my neighbor's side of the road. Perhaps that's why? What do you think?

acemaster214 said:
Well i made a small room in my garage but, that was six months ago. I notice at one time the person in the room parked on my neighbor's side of the road. Perhaps that's why? What do you think?

So, you built a room (without a building permit) and rented the room to a person?

If you did that, and they suspect it, they'll eventually gain access, legally.

When they do, the room had better not be occupied. If it is, it'll cost you far more than you've made.

Empty the room of renters, and don't rent it again. It ain't worth it.

You might also want to talk to a lawyer. The lawyer will be able to negotiate a settlement to make them (and this mess) go away!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back