Designating property sold only family name

Slkemp

Jurisdiction
Indiana
My step-father is leaving 22 acres to my
half-sister's sons . She will be living there also with her husband. I was hoping to buy part of the property to live near my sister and relatives.
I was told the will has stipulated property only sold to the original family name that it came from. ( my half-sister's maiden name ).
Her dad's last name - meaning his relatives.
Nobody died yet, but should I cancel that plan as an option and look elsewhere?
Thank you,

Should I cancel that plan as an option and look elsewhere?

Don't count your chickens BEFORE the eggs hatch, or in my case, my calves before the cows have given birth.

Many things can happen before assets are distributed as per stirpes directs in a will.

I suggest you purchase property elsewhere, rather than rely upon Abdul predeceasing Beauregard.

Don't count your chickens BEFORE the eggs hatch, or in my case, my calves before the cows have given birth.

Many things can happen before assets are distributed as per stirpes directs in a will.

I suggest you purchase property elsewhere, rather than rely upon Abdul predeceasing Beauregard.
Thank you. I definitely know life has funny twists . I really just wanted to know if restrictions I presented can be placed on the land? And if they can be broken?
My step father is in good health and we are on good terms. It's nice to know possible options. I'm a long ways from selling my home and not thinking of moving till my grandchildren get a little older and I'm lucky to get a passing glimpse.

My step-father is leaving 22 acres to my
half-sister's sons . She will be living there also with her husband. I was hoping to buy part of the property to live near my sister and relatives.
I was told the will has stipulated property only sold to the original family name that it came from. ( my half-sister's maiden name ).

In at least most states a will cannot control what the beneficiaries do with the property after the property is distributed to them. Once they get it they are free to do what they like with it. If he really wants to restrict the property this way then a trust is the far better way to do it.

But even if that will restriction is invalid, your plan still relies on some relative to be willing to sell to you after he or she inherits it. And as army judge notes, you probably ought not count on that. Many things could go wrong between now and then to derail that idea.

If the opportunity is there after he dies to buy it and you are still interested in buying it then you can work out the purchase then. Until then, though, you should consider having another plan in place to achieve what you want that doesn't rely on everything lining up just right with your father's property.

In at least most states a will cannot control what the beneficiaries do with the property after the property is distributed to them. Once they get it they are free to do what they like with it. If he really wants to restrict the property this way then a trust is the far better way to do it.

But even if that will restriction is invalid, your plan still relies on some relative to be willing to sell to you after he or she inherits it. And as army judge notes, you probably ought not count on that. Many things could go wrong between now and then to derail that idea.

If the opportunity is there after he dies to buy it and you are still interested in buying it then you can work out the purchase then. Until then, though, you should consider having another plan in place to achieve what you want that doesn't rely on everything lining up just right with your father's property.

Thank you! I just like to collect some possible options in my "egg basket ". Not counting on anything that far off but it's nice to know it's not a closed door. Never dreamed I would move back to Indiana only because I have a son and grandchildren but they are definitely in the fast lane and I have a ton of relatives there. Moved here in 73 with my grandparents and have been homesick ever since. I go up there and stay a good spell every year to help with my mother. Have a car there now and opened a bank account..so.. for now Priceline
$39-$49 one way Orlando to Cincinnati not bad . Thank you very much for the information.
Sincerely, Slkemp

Back